Twice this morning....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sarahej, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Sarahej

Sarahej In the Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    Our chicks our 7 weeks old and this morning we heard one of them scream, crow? Almost like a roo? We didn't want and cannot have any roo's and hoping that hens scream too. Please tell us that they do. [​IMG] We belive we have a BSL, Barred Rock Hen and a Brown Leghorn.

2. Sarahej

Sarahej In the Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    My husband wants me to reiterate that it sounded like a scream...not really a rooster sound.... ideas?

3. HEChicken

HEChicken Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Can you post pictures of them - that would give us a better idea. If they are only 7 weeks old and one is crowing, it might not sound too much like a crow....yet.

4. Sarahej

Sarahej In the Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    Getting camera right now! thanks

5. Sarahej

Sarahej In the Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    The barred rock in the first picture is your culprit, I'm sorry to tell you.

7. Sarahej

Sarahej In the Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    a roo????[​IMG]

8. Sarahej

Sarahej In the Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    a better picture[​IMG]

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Yes, no doubt that is a cockerel. I wish I could tell you otherwise.....

The giveaway is the large red comb and wattles. For 7 weeks old, there is no way those could be a girl, on any breed. In his case there is actually another "tell" because he is a barred rock, and that is the coloration. Girls will look more dark than white - boys will look more white than dark. When you have a sample of one, it is hard to see the difference but if you saw him next to a girl, you would instantly see how much whiter he is. For now, if you click on the "breeds" link at the top of the page and look through the breeds to find the barred rock, you will probably be able to find photos of girls and boys that demonstrate the difference in coloration.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  10. Sarahej

Sarahej In the Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    What do we do? We love her... I mean, him so much, but no roos in our area. Where do we take him? I am heartbroken!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: