Twin chicken development

Just wanted to update and get some more feedback. So I still only have two eggs pipped and today is now day 22. One egg which pipped has slightly largened the hole and is chirping so seems okay, if a bit slow. The second egg which pipped has not advanced at all and the pip doesn't seem large enough to let air in, it is still just a crack. The twins and the last egg have still not pipped. The last normal egg was moving alot over the past few days but has now stopped suddenly and shows no sign of a pip.

I know this is a very exciting and stressful time for you. How many eggs total? How is your humidity? I've never assisted a hatching that survived but also there have been plenty of times where I feel like if i had helped maybe they would have made it? Like they'll pip then stop and die. I never know what's right i just go with my gut but honestly when it comes to hatching chicks my gut is usually wrong :( I have heard of one twin surviving before but never both. I usually give my eggs a week past due date before I toss them in case of stragglers. But I remove the chicks as the dry to make room for the rest hatching.

One of the pipped eggs has now hatched! It seems healthy and alert and is trying to walk around. The other eggs still not showing any signs. There are a total of 4 eggs, 1 which has hatched and three remaining. The humidity is currently at 65% and stable and temperature is at 37.7 Celsius. Started with 6 eggs, but two were never fertile.

Last edited:
One of the pipped eggs has now hatched! It seems healthy and alert and is trying to walk around. The other eggs still not showing any signs. There are a total of 4 eggs, 1 which has hatched and three remaining. The humidity is currently at 65% and stable and temperature is at 37.7 Celsius. Started with 6 eggs, but two were never fertile.
wee.gif
thumbsup.gif
Today should be a good day. I'd be hovering over the bator.

Opon futher inspection it looks like the membrane hasnt been pierced and is trying to get through with its beak. I think the membrane may have dried out.

Opon futher inspection it looks like the membrane hasnt been pierced and is trying to get through with its beak. I think the membrane may have dried out.

A tough call. If the membrane has dried out the chick may not be able to pierce it. If you intercede to soon the chick will perish. How's the humidity? If the humidity is correct the membrane should not have dried.

The twins?

I wish you good luck.

Sorry for not updating sooner.

I decided to take a closer look at the pipped egg so I removed it from the incubator and placed it in a damp cloth. I removed a couple pieces of the shell around the pip to get a better look at the membrane and it wasn't pierced and had dried. So I put alittle hole in it and placed it back in the incubator with the cloth and raised the humidity to 75%. I also decided it was time to check on the other two eggs and candled and did the float test. Both eggs were viable but the single yolk egg did not move once whilst the twins were moving ALOT. Interestingly, when I candled the twins they are the same size as when I candled them on day 18! Neither have an internal pip.

Last edited:
Also before I did anything I could hear faint tweets from the egg. After I pierced the membrane it was tweeting regulary but has since stopped and but opens its beak but doesnt make a sound.

It could just be resting. The pipping is hard work and there's usually a period of rest between pipping and zipping. Yay for lots of movement in the twins egg. They may be a bit behind. We'll all just have to be patient and wait and see. My fingers are firmly crossed for you and the twins.

Back
Top Bottom