Twin chickens(double yolker) Fixing to hatch! Help me!!

Oh, pardon moi. I'm new to chicken slang. Thanks for enlightening me. I want to be just like you guys, afterall.
big_smile.png
Seriously. I do.
LOL...chicken slang is an acquired art. You will learn it quickly hanging round here
lau.gif

I've never done a "float test" & not sure how...so I locate the air cell by candling & carefully open the egg with the tip of a small knife or needle/safety pin. Once I can peek inside & check for movement I start removing tiny bits of shell until I can be sure whether baby is dead or alive. If dead I don't worry about doing damage & proceed with the eggtopsy. If there is movement & signs of life I free as much of the chick as I can without hurting it or causing bleeding (mainly get the head out) & let it kick loose from there. I watch to make sure it doesn't shrink wrap & moisten the membrane as needed while sliding it on down the chick's body while it kicks. I make sure the chick does MOST of the work & has to push to free itself. A lot of times it just turns out the chick wasn't turned quite right to get the angle it needed to push free.

whats the float test?

As far as I remember, the float test is to see if an egg is rotten or not: It floats if it is, sinks if its good. I don't know if that is the same test you would do for a live, developing chick or not as I have yet to hatch my own! Sorry to hear the double yoker was a fail.
Glad there were others that hatched! I can't wait to do it w/ my own next year.

The float test is where you literally float the eggs in water to see if they are alive. Its generally done when a chick is late to hatch and hasn't pipped. If the egg moves in the water then there is still a living chick in it. If not, then the chick has probably died.

Back
Top Bottom