Do you find it true that breeding agressive roosters tend to produce offspring that included agressive males?
I believe that theory.

I got an aggressive hen from breeding two friendly birds together. So it must be hereditary, even from distant generations.

Sorry, I went to bed and didn't respond. It sounds like the chick is hatching now but for future reference, for those who asked, the reason you want to go in through the rounded end of the egg is because of the air cell allowing for a more accessible area to apply ointment with a much lower risk of causing a bleed if you find you're assisting a chick that isn't ready yet. You can monitor the absorption of the blood vessels from the air cell even if the chick is upsidedown in the egg and proceed with assisting once you're positive it's ready.

Here are a couple of pictures for examples.

View attachment 2796067View attachment 2796068
This would become a full assist for chicks who pipped the wrong end correct? I would presume that they will have nothing to kick against to hatch themselves...or would they be able to hatch themselves just fine? Sorry for the questions! I have no experience with opening from the bottom end, since I’ve often read that they would need to kick up against something to hatch themselves. Would love to know more because I haven’t had experience with opening the egg at the non-pip end, and don’t want to be parroting false information :oops:

Personally, I haven’t found it any harder to see the veins opening fat side vs pointed side. The wong end just requires a little more concentration and patience, where the fat end could be just crack crack crack, loool!
The assisted hatch page advised to free the head end, so that’s what I’ve been doing, whether it’s air cell side or otherwise 😅

Back
Top Bottom