Twin Yolks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momaroo, Feb 9, 2014.

1. momaroo

momaroo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2013
    I have a hen - not sure which one - who always lays large eggs and so far, they have all been double-yolked. What causes this? When they do this, does it always continue? It's great. I am thinking it could be my Rhode Island Red, but not sure since I have 11 hens of various types.

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    It is not normal for it to happen on a regular basis. The double yolk is found mostly in beginner layers and after a molt or brood. She is simply dropping 2 yolks in one egg cycle. Just because it is not normal does not mean that it is bad. If she keeps this up long term then her egg laying years may be shortened, but as long as she still passes the eggs properly you have nothing to worry about. If you are not in chickens just for eggs the girls can live many years after they stop laying. If you can find out what girl is laying the double yolked eggs, I would just keep an eye on her to make sure that she keeps passing them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by