TWINS!!! Hatch pics on page 4 - GRAPHIC - They didn't make it.

6295_062308_1447.jpg

UPDATE: Well, try as I might I don't see veins or development and I've tried my best at even imagining they are there - but not so. All the other eggs are fertile and developing but no such luck on the double yolker. I'll leave it a couple of more days before discarding it.

Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Quote:
No - no ridge. But you should be able to see the two yolks when candling. It did seem to have two air cells - one at one end and one somewhat off towards the other end right near the yolk. I have noticed that one yolk seems to be still free floating around in egg but the other seems to be stuck to shell and does have a small dark spot developing but no veins so I'm guessing it's going bad. Don't know how long they were in that hidden nest in duck house. A number of the other found eggs went bad and have already been discarded.

Quote:
Thanks - so was I. I thought if any double yolker had a chance this one did - with two air sacs and a huge egg with plenty of room for two chicks. Alas, doesn't seem to be fertile.

Still Birth of Twins Today.

Well turns out one of the other eggs I gathered that day and put in bator did have twins. It was a large brown egg but I couldn't tell that it had two yolks because I can't see into the brown eggs well. After it started developing I was pretty sure I could see two chicks moving. Last night all the eggs started pipping. I candled the "Twins" egg and could see movement. I could also see a huge air cell. I put a small hole in large end of egg in air sack so I could see into egg. I was able to remove enough shell to see. I could see the membrane moving. Been watching it all day. It suddenly stopped moving so I got it out to examine it. I removed enough shell over air cell to touch it and could tell it was dead. Pretty sure there was another chick in there I started removing shell, but no membrane. Sure enough at other end of egg I could see movement. Wasn't sure what to do at that point and I guess I will always second guess myself at what I should have done. I thought there might be a chance to save the second chick that was still breathing but before I could remove any membrane it too went still. Desperately hoping I could save one or both, I went ahead and tore membrane. They were both dead but perfectly formed - one yellow - one black.

Warning - the following photos may be deemed graphic but are very informational for those who want to know if twins can hatch. I'm wishing I had left them for another day or two so that I wouldn't fell like maybe I acted too soon.

twins3-1.jpg

twins2-1.jpg

twins1-1.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom