twist in the to refrige eggs or not debate

Quote:
lots of people. eggs will do fine at room temperature for quite a while. and they're also better to bake with when used at room temperature.

Ok.. now I'm leaning something. So how long before you have to put them in the fridge.... thanks guys!

There are two views on this, the US government paranoia telling us all to do anything that might possibly reduce the amount of bacteria in your food view and the more moderate view.

US gov view everything MUST always be either refrigerated below 41 degrees f, or held at above 141 degrees f, or we could all be sick.

Or, you could go with the more moderate view, it's an egg, it's supposed to keep bad germs out to protect the lil chickie inside.
Most of the time this works, so just keep em on the counter for up to a week.

Keep em out or not it's your choice. It's not like you won't know if you crack a bad one. they smell real funky.

Sorry to hijack the post.... but how long will the eggs last once they've been out for a week and then put in the fridge? Am I making anyone else confused.

Eggs aren't refrigerated in shops here in England! So i just collect my eggs and keep them in a basket unwashed, they are always fine for a few weeks, maybe longer but mine get eaten!!

Quote:
Eggs all over Europe are not refrigerated. Refrigerating eggs is an American thing. They'll last 2 weeks sitting on your counter.

I read in a country magazine that eggs are good on the counter top for up to 3 months. Yep, it said 3 months. Then i ran into a chicken lady at the store and she said hers have lasted for a couple of months on the counter top. My eggs sell so fast that sometimes i have no eggs for myself so i dont have to worry about it. When you think about it, in the olden days they didnt have refrigerators.

Quote:
Modified the quote...gotta love Big Brother!
wink.png

Quote:
Modified the quote...gotta love Big Brother!
wink.png

Well, yeah, I understand your point, it's a reg now, but it started I want to say in the 50's when everything 'modern' began to be so important, and it's what people sort of demanded. Refrigeration became such a big deal, and it IS an awesome thing, I'd hate to have to try to live without it now. Food is MUCH safer, and with factory eggs being handled and packed, cracked and leaked on by each other... it is smart.

My home grown, home handled, layed in clean shavings, fresh and almost never dirty etc etc... I too only wash them JUST before I use them, never before I store them in their basket or bowl on the counter.

Back
Top Bottom