Twisted chicken toe

Lilla

Chirping
Feb 17, 2018
tacoma, wa
My chicken's toe looks twisted and bent. She is about 10 weeks old. I'd not noticed this before. It doesn't look like it's causing her any pain but I don't want it to become a problem for her later. Should I be concerned or is this normal? What, if anything, should I do about it? I tried twisting it back and she wasn't bothered by it, so again, not causing her pain. Should I try splinting it or just continue to monitor?

Attachments

• chicktoe.jpg
    chicktoe.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 13
:welcome I'm not sure,but I have a chicken that has a twisted toe,she has since I hatched her. She is fine.

You can try splinting it if it goes back into correct position. Many chickens have wonky toes and do fine and adapt. The only caveat I would say is to check it regularly for bumblefoot, sometimes when things are out of position they hit the ground in a way that can increase the odds of injury and bumblefoot. I had a roo with a misshapen toe from a break that healed badly and he was prone to bumblefoot in that toe. But other chickens live their entire lives with wonky toes or missing toes and have no problems at all.

I have a Golden Comet hen with the same toe twisted the same way. I think it twisted/broke around 2 months of age. She is 2 years and doing fine, in fact she is the Boss of the 4 hens.
20180221_123401.jpg
She is the one on the left. You can see it's the same toe as your girl.
There are 5 hens in this Pic, I lost one a couple of months ago. GC
Edited to add, she's never had bumblefoot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom