Twisted foot

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WVman, Apr 12, 2011.

1. WVman

WVman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Salt rock/Hamlin, WV
    I have this duckling just hatched about 1:30 today he is still in the bator. One of his feet is twisted sideways not his leg just his foot it can't stand up or walk it just falls over if it does manage to get it's self up. What can I do to help it out so it can walk

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

A picture would be really helpful. I have hatched a couple ducklings with leg/foot deformities and you can try vitamins and niacin but the 2 i had never fully corrected. I had one that's foot turned right under his belly, he grew and developed fine otherwise, just got around slower than the others.

3. WVman

Feb 24, 2011
    Salt rock/Hamlin, WV
    Can't get a pic right now my iPad is all I have and I cant upload any photos with it

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Tapping the foot open wil often help in this kind of situation. I have used sticky foam pads meant for human feet ( corns and callouses ) I cut them to fir the tiny foot- and they are sticky enough to stay in place for a few days. It allows the duckling to learn to use the leg and foot properly rather than continuing to get around with the foot clenched.

5. WVman

Feb 24, 2011
    Salt rock/Hamlin, WV
    Quote:Thank you I will pick some stuff up on my way home from work. Can I leave him in the bator that long don't want the others to knock him around

6. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

The ones that I have dealt with were very stiff and painful to the babies if i tried to turn or move the foot. Hopefully your baby's foot isn't like that and will be easy to move to a more natural position. My fingers are crossed for it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by