Twisted hock?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Countrypunk92, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    I have a Black Laced cockeral, about 6 weeks who has a twisted leg, I read you can stretch it out and the tendon will pop into place again, but you will have to splint it up.
    Any other suggestions? or more advice towards this?

2. dracoe19

dracoe19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    I have never put a tendon back in place but what you suggested sounds like it will work. I think if you do get the tendon back where it should putting a splint on would do him good. It will remind him to take his time and not over strain the injury and hopefully keep it from slipping again. Hope his leg gets better soon!

3. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Well, the article I read from was for baby chicks, using a straw to cast the leg..

How would I splint it?

4. dracoe19

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    hmm... about how long is his leg? you could split a Popsicle stick in half length wise and that should be the proper size. Also use vet rap because it is so much easier to adjust and it won't pull any feathers or get sticky which I love. If you don't have a Popsicle stick maybe a sipping straw, stick from out side, or a thick wire wrapped in tap or vet wrap. Is the slipped tendon on his ankle joint or higher?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  5. dracoe19

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    [​IMG]

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by