1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Twisted toenail on hen, do I trim back a little or all the way?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KMSonthecoast, Jun 25, 2013.

1. KMSonthecoast

KMSonthecoast Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    Astoria, OR
    Twisted toenail on hen, do I trim back a little or all the way?

Another rescued hen. At one time one of her legs had scale ( I covered it with vaseline for a few weeks).

It seems like the scale healed before I got her but the longest toe grew a twisted nail as a result and it is over 1/2 inch long.

I trimmed it back a bit when she came and it bled a little.

I am afraid to trim it back to normal size due to the quick and the risk of blood/infection.

I was told just trim a little off every few weeks...

But I am afraid she will get it caught in something and tear or break her big main toe?

What should I do?

She is managing so far in getting around, but clearly she would walk better with a shorter nail.

SO would you trim a little every other week OR just chop it back to normal length? I think the quick will bleed either way.

Thanks!

2. chirpingcricket

chirpingcricket Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Fairhope, AL
    A little over time should work, since it will continue to grow back that way.

Good idea to have a septic stick to stop the bleeding and a bottle of purple anti-septic spray to hide the fresh wound and blood weeping until it seals.

The larger the cut, the greater chance for severe bleeding, pecking/infection, etc. IMHO Would isolate the bird a few days and monitor closely. Could also apply a dab of NuSkin to a larger cut/wound to seal and speed healing.....Your choice.....Please let us know. Thanks! [​IMG]

3. chirpingcricket

chirpingcricket Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Fairhope, AL
    Hey KM, did you make a decision on trimming that toe? If so, how is it going. Let me know.... Thanks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by