Twitchy chicken

Rsqtek

Hatching
Jan 24, 2020
Before I get into the symptomology of what going on, I need to get everyone up to speed with a few facts. Our ladies bedding is changed once a week. Twice a week, there is food grade DE sprinkled in the bedding. Every other feeding, they are given DE right in their feed. There are NO outward signs or symptoms of parasites or any other living organisms.
The day in question started out as usual. I know ...it's starting to sound like a murder mystery. As soon as the doorway is open, all the ladies make a mad dash for the exit. While they are out, I can change all the feed and water without tripping over them. I have handled each and every hen since we got them, and they are used to vying for their place in line on my lap. Yes, I talk to them as well.
Later, when it was time to bring them in, I noticed one hen out in the middle of their run area. She was VERY lethargic, and huddled down hard, not wanting to move. She was soaked and covered in mud. Okay, now the E.M.T. in me kicked in. The FIRST thing I did was put her in the brooder where she could be warmed in private by the heat lamp. I sat with her for about an hour. Finally, she started to shiver. This is a good sign, as signs go. This meant that she was warming and starting to respond to treatment.
Today, although she is eating and drinking fine, she is still a bit listless. She has a "twitch" in her LEFT leg ONLY. She has a slight limp, but it didn't keep her from going full-tilt toward the opening today, which I shut before she .had a chance to escape. She is back in the brooder where she can be observed for progress/ problems.
Has anyone ever had a similar experience? If so, any thoughts on what next...

Hypothermia is a very serious condition in a chicken. You did well to bring her in and warm her up. However, that only treated the hen's temperature. You still need to treat her for shock which her symptoms fit.

Warm Gatoraid or warm sugar water with a pinch of salt will treat shock. She still needs to be kept warm until she's behaving normally. A heating pad rigged vertically so she can lean against it to soak up warmth is best. That way when she feels warm enough, she can move away from it, returning to it at will for further warming.

If it ever happens again that you have a hypothermic chicken, you can warm them faster and more efficiently by wrapping them in a big bath towel that has been warmed in the dryer. Then turn the chicken onto their back and use a hair dryer on their breast and wing pits to warm their blood supply as those are the areas of greatest blood flow.

I hope she recovers. If the symptoms persist, it could be something else. Report back here, and we can try to offer more help.

Hypothermia is a very serious condition in a chicken. You did well to bring her in and warm her up. However, that only treated the hen's temperature. You still need to treat her for shock which her symptoms fit.

Warm Gatoraid or warm sugar water with a pinch of salt will treat shock. She still needs to be kept warm until she's behaving normally. A heating pad rigged vertically so she can lean against it to soak up warmth is best. That way when she feels warm enough, she can move away from it, returning to it at will for further warming.

If it ever happens again that you have a hypothermic chicken, you can warm them faster and more efficiently by wrapping them in a big bath towel that has been warmed in the dryer. Then turn the chicken onto their back and use a hair dryer on their breast and wing pits to warm their blood supply as those are the areas of greatest blood flow.

I hope she recovers. If the symptoms persist, it could be something else. Report back here, and we can try to offer more help.
Poor thing, I guess we can't really avoid somethings to happen. I think we learned an important lesson here. We need to look beyond whats gonna happen.

The day in question started out as usual
Later, when it was time to bring them in, I noticed one hen out in the middle of their run area. She was VERY lethargic, and huddled down hard, not wanting to move. She was soaked and covered in mud
Today, although she is eating and drinking fine, she is still a bit listless. She has a "twitch" in her LEFT leg ONLY. She has a slight limp, but it didn't keep her from going full-tilt toward the opening today
I agree, getting her warm and hydrated is very good.

How old is this hen?
When is the last time she laid an egg?
Was she vaccinated for Marek's?
Do you feel any bloat/swelling or fluid in the abdomen?

Back
Top Bottom