Two 5week old chicks pecked and there is injury/blood

BeeJayBird

Chirping
Jul 31, 2023
Virginia
We have 6 five-week old chicks that we moved to a larger enclosure two days ago. We did this to discourage pecking we were seeing. However, we just observed one, or both of our Delaware chicks ruthlessly pecking Elvira, a Black Ochin. We immediately pulled her out and her neck is raw and bloody. We then observed the Delawares were also pecking Thelma, a Buff Orpington and saw a tinge of blood right above her tail feathers. We removed her as well. Elvira and Thelma have both been put back in their original enclosure with food and water. In addition to the above we have a Red Tail and a 2nd Buff Orpington.

We need to inspect closer, tho do not think injuries are severe. Because we felt some scabs, this didn’t just happen today. I’m looking for advice/direction for treating the wounds (I have something called Nu-Stock, as well as human antibiotic cream and dressing bandages) and what to think about going forward on how best to care for Elvira and Thelma, as well as the behavior of the other chicks. Thank you for any help! *bjb

Attachments

• IMG_2465.jpeg
    IMG_2465.jpeg
    425.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
The 2 injured chicks let us use an antiseptic cleansing liquid and wipe their wound areas. They were so sweet/compliant. We then applied NU-Stock ointment (stinks!) which is a thick all-purpose wound care. The two offending chicks are now in their old brooder box and Elvira and Thelma back with their other two sisters…and all very content.

I learned that over pecking happens when birds start to see red, literally. The color red is very attractive and if a chick is pecked, the redness of its inflamed skin will be like a siren call for other birds to attack and peck at the red area. I read about reasons for pecking and only thing possible seems boredom. We were going to introduce them to the outside today, but now will do tomorrow. Will also come up with something new for their brooder box to peck at. When I’m sure no redness is showing, I’ll bring Lucy and Ethel back to their flock…I assume tomorrow. *bjb

You could try trimming or filing the beaks of the ones that are doing the pecking. Just dull the very tip of the beak, that can sometimes help and it will grow back. Blu Kote can hide the red from the injuries so they won't see it and be attracted to continue pecking. You didn't say how much room they have but if it's not enough or they are bored you might need to add some additional features for jumping and hiding so the ones being pecked can get a break. Also maybe add another feeding station in a different part of your enclosure if you have one so no one is getting bullied off of the food.

Are all of the chicks the same age and size? Have they been together all along? That seems like significant pecking injuries for 5 week old chicks. This is the time they start having a pecking order, but I would keep an eye on those two aggressors. Too little room is the biggest cause of pecking. How hot is it, and how much light in their new area is there?

Are all of the chicks the same age and size? Have they been together all along? That seems like significant pecking injuries for 5 week old chicks. This is the time they start having a pecking order, but I would keep an eye on those two aggressors. Too little room is the biggest cause of pecking. How hot is it, and how much light in their new area is there?
Got them all at 2 days old, been together ever since. Same age and size. We just moved them to a new enclosure, much larger, in our mudroom. Really nice, still have their brooder plate but are seldom under it. Room has large window and temp is fine. They are now closer to us. We are going on the theory of boredom and just added a wood log and some wood branches and nice big dust bath…they love it! The two offending chicks are elsewhere just for tonight and we will reevaluate in morning. I’m hopeful it is more of a boredom issue we can resolve. This caught us off-guard, never an issue with our first flock. Learning something every day. *bjb

You could try trimming or filing the beaks of the ones that are doing the pecking. Just dull the very tip of the beak, that can sometimes help and it will grow back. Blu Kote can hide the red from the injuries so they won't see it and be attracted to continue pecking. You didn't say how much room they have but if it's not enough or they are bored you might need to add some additional features for jumping and hiding so the ones being pecked can get a break. Also maybe add another feeding station in a different part of your enclosure if you have one so no one is getting bullied off of the food.
Thank you for the beak-tip, I hope I don’t need to do that. We have focused on the boredom issue and introduced some exciting things for them. They are in a nice large enclosure. The other 2 chicks are in chick jail tonight and we are reevaluating in the morning. *bjb

Use Blu Kote for chickens, but wear gloves because it stains like it supposed to. Spray it on the wound and maybe also use No Picken spray to deter further attacks.

Use Blu Kote for chickens, but wear gloves because it stains like it supposed to. Spray it on the wound and maybe also use No Picken spray to deter further attacks.
I don’t have Blu Kote, I used Phillips Nu-Stock after cleansing. What is this No Picken spray? I couldn’t find it on Amazon. *bjb

I don’t have Blu Kote, I used Phillips Nu-Stock after cleansing. What is this No Picken spray? I couldn’t find it on Amazon. *bjb
blu kote stains whatever it touches a dark purple blue which hides the red in wounds so chickens can't see and pick at them. Kind of like wound camouflage. I got mine from amazon. It can also help heal wounds. It will wear off of your hands with washing in a few days but stains clothes permanently. I've never used nu-stock or no pick'n.

Back
Top Bottom