Two Acres in Maryland

TwoAcresonaDream

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2017
Hello Everyone!

Finally getting started on my homestead dreams with the purchase of our new home in June, and our hens in August. We have two mostly flat and cleared acres, and I love it!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes, I am very new to chickens. We got our first chickens in August. I have been researching them for years, and I was just waiting until we could purchase our first home to make the leap.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We have 8 chickens, 6 mature and two young ones.
(3) What breeds do you have?
1 White Delaware, 1 Red Sex Link, 3 Barred Rocks, 1 Rhode Island Red, and 2 Buff Orpingtons (these two are only 14-15 weeks old)
(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Every time I do a Google search on chickens, the site comes up.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I love to write, garden, and paint.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I am married with three young boys. We don't have any other pets right now, but I want the whole homestead life: garden, mini orchard, goats (dairy), lambs (meat), meat chickens, ducks etc.

:welcome

Congratulations on getting your flock and a great place! Sounds like you have lots of future adventures in store...enjoy!

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us.

Here’s a link to the Articles section - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ There you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs.

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best

Pork Pie

Welcome to Backyard chickens! I'm not far from you, just north in PA! We bought our 1.3 acres with the same dream. We're slowly working towards our goal and have a couple fruit trees in but far from the whole orchard. We've gotten compost going, have the chickens and meaties, ducks and turkeys. The garden is a work in progress with a greenhouse going up hopefully in the spring. We even tapped our trees this spring and made maple syrup! It's awesome homesteading!

Welcome to Backyard chickens! I'm not far from you, just north in PA! We bought our 1.3 acres with the same dream. We're slowly working towards our goal and have a couple fruit trees in but far from the whole orchard. We've gotten compost going, have the chickens and meaties, ducks and turkeys. The garden is a work in progress with a greenhouse going up hopefully in the spring. We even tapped our trees this spring and made maple syrup! It's awesome homesteading!

I wonder what part of MD @TwoAcresonaDream is in? Welcome to BYC! :)

Auroadream, you sound like me! I have about an acre and a half with newish apple, peach, pear, plum trees and a VERY LATE haybale garden experiment! Turkeys, ducks, and chickens (plus the ferrets, fish, and a cat). I am about 2 miles from the PA line in my area and maybe 6 miles to the WV line.

I wonder what part of MD @TwoAcresonaDream is in? Welcome to BYC! :)

Auroadream, you sound like me! I have about an acre and a half with newish apple, peach, pear, plum trees and a VERY LATE haybale garden experiment! Turkeys, ducks, and chickens (plus the ferrets, fish, and a cat). I am about 2 miles from the PA line in my area and maybe 6 miles to the WV line.

It looks like you're only about 1 1/2 hours south of me! Not far at all! So far, we only have 2 plum trees and a fig tree, all small, 2 male and 2 female arctic kiwis, 5 raspberry bushes, and 6 or 7 blueberry bushes. We have to move or blueberries though since our ground is hard clay and they're just not growing. Besides the poultry, we have a couple dogs, a cat, fish, and a rabbit :)

Back
Top Bottom