Two Bantam Roos - Move One to LF Coop?

BigMommaZ

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2016
I have two coops/runs separated by chicken wire fencing both inside and out. One side has only bantam cochins consisting of 2 boys and 4 girls (12 weeks old). The other side has 12 large fowl (various breeds) ladies. Seven are older (2-4 yrs old) and 5 are young (14 weeks old).

My two cohin roos are beginning to try to mount the ladies and they aren't having it. I thought 12 weeks was too young bur Tank is crowing and Thunder who is second in command is also feeling his oats but not crowing. I guess Tank is the only one allowed to crow but apparently both feel they can have at the girls. I fear that with only 4 girls, the boys are going to run them down constantly.

Should I move one of the roos to the "Big Girl" side or will they be too big for him? Should I try to get more little ladies for the boys?
Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you QueenMisha. I thought only the top Roo was able to have "access" to the ladies so I figured 1 male with the 4 female wasn't perfect but workable but if both are going to take liberties then I think I need to do something. I will move one of the roos to the LF side in a while while I try to find some bantam ladies. Tough though as no one wants to sell bantam girls and if I get straight run again I might get more boys. If for nothing else, moving one roo out will give the girls a break.

Back
Top Bottom