Two Bantam Roos - Move One to LF Coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BigMommaZ, Jul 27, 2016.

1. BigMommaZ

BigMommaZ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    I have two coops/runs separated by chicken wire fencing both inside and out. One side has only bantam cochins consisting of 2 boys and 4 girls (12 weeks old). The other side has 12 large fowl (various breeds) ladies. Seven are older (2-4 yrs old) and 5 are young (14 weeks old).

My two cohin roos are beginning to try to mount the ladies and they aren't having it. I thought 12 weeks was too young bur Tank is crowing and Thunder who is second in command is also feeling his oats but not crowing. I guess Tank is the only one allowed to crow but apparently both feel they can have at the girls. I fear that with only 4 girls, the boys are going to run them down constantly.

Should I move one of the roos to the "Big Girl" side or will they be too big for him? Should I try to get more little ladies for the boys?
    Your thoughts are appreciated.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Honestly, I'd do both. Get more bantam ladies, and once they're a bit bigger, move one rooster to the standard coop. It will keep both flocks happiest.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  3. BigMommaZ

BigMommaZ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    Thank you QueenMisha. I thought only the top Roo was able to have "access" to the ladies so I figured 1 male with the 4 female wasn't perfect but workable but if both are going to take liberties then I think I need to do something. I will move one of the roos to the LF side in a while while I try to find some bantam ladies. Tough though as no one wants to sell bantam girls and if I get straight run again I might get more boys. If for nothing else, moving one roo out will give the girls a break.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by