Two Bantam Special Assortment - Breed?

SewChaos

Songster
7 Years
Feb 7, 2012
Cottage Grove, Oregon
I picked up two bantams from the feed store. They get their chicks from Ideal.

I think I know what one is, but the other? I made a list of the breeds of clean-legged bantams that Ideal has, if anyone could at least eliminate any options... They are 4 weeks old.

This one I believe is a Sicilian Buttercup -

Am I right? A Sicilian Buttercup?

This is the one I'm not sure on -
It's got white legs and I think a rosecomb.

The list of clean legged bantams Ideal has (after I eliminated ones I knew it wasn't):
Cornish
Dutch
Japanese
Modern
Old English
Ameraucana
Belgian d'Anver (Quail & Blue Quail)
Buff Orp
Sebright
Wyandotte

Can anyone at least cross off a possibility?

Thanks!

Thanks. The leg color on the second one is what's throwing me.... What about a Mille Fluer Old English? After uploading the pictures, I noticed little white tips on the feathers...

Last edited:
Cornish ~ possible
Dutch ~ have straight combs
Japanese ~ have straight combs
modern ~ have straight combs
Old English ~ have straight combs
Ameraucana ~ (ee's) they have green legs for the most part also it doesnt have a beard
Belgian d'Anver (Quail & Blue Quail) ~ wrong color and no beard
Buff Orp ~ have straight combs
Sebright ~ legs look like the wrong color
Wyandotte ~ possible

what color was its baby fluff before it started getting feathers in ?

Thanks. The leg color on the second one is what's throwing me.... What about a Mille Fluer Old English? After uploading the pictures, I noticed little white tips on the feathers...
the white on milles doesnt come in until they are around 2.5-4 months...your chick doesnt have a straight comb which automatically eliminates any straight combed breed

That certainly limits the list of what it is! Thanks!

I just got her over the weekend, so I don't know what color the fluff was originally. Her back still has the greyish/bluish down, and there was more yellow down on her wings. She really feathered in fast over the weekend.

BlueLaceRedCornishCkB.jpg

does the middle chick look like this one did? if so then its a blue laced red cornish

BlueLaceRedWyanCkB.jpg
blue laced red wayndotte (again middle chick)

i hate ideals pics but until i find more better actual chick pics these are the best right now lol as far as leg color chick wise they look the same

I have a couple of the standard size 3 week old blue lace red chicks, and my mystery chick doesn't look like them. I'll post an upated picture in a few weeks, perhaps it will be clearer then. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom