TWO Bantams broody in the same nest over same eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zebandamber04, Sep 23, 2009.

1. zebandamber04

zebandamber04 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    The Farm
    I have two bantam chickens that have gone broody in the same nest OVER THE SAME EGGS. They don't seem to mind. They've been sitting together in that nest now for over a week. I wonder what this means and what will happen when the eggs hatch!? They are sitting on 6 or 7 eggs total.

2. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I have a pair of frizzled cochins that raise babies together and now a pair of silkies that are raising 8 chicks together. They seem to do a better job for the most part because someone is always keeping watchout.

3. Namble

Namble Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    North Florida
    Thats truely awesome!

4. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Not too unusual for sure....I don't know about bantams but I've seen as many as three hens sitting on a nest and laying. Broody hens can sometimes get mean if other chickens bother them by trying to nest with them but now and then you get two who are compatible and will both brood together...and it's great cuz the chicks then have two momma's to take care of them.
    Another factor is that one of the two hens brooding may be the bottom of the pecking order and has to put up with the intruder. Any one else thought of that?

5. staceyl

staceyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    What a good idea. Think I can get a second mom to watch my kids while I go have a cocktail?

6. zebandamber04

zebandamber04 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    The Farm
    They are two frizzle chochins from the same hatch last Feb. They seem to be getting along great. As a matter of fact they are kind to all. So I finally had to cage them off because all the hens were getting in there too and laying on top of them.. I thought it best to stop at 6 eggs to hatch between the two of them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by