Two Barred Rocks: one has never laid and other has stopped laying

beckyjoyce

Hatching
Oct 21, 2015

My two BR are 8 months old. Dot, in the back, has never once laid an egg (she's been cooped up, she's not eating or hiding eggs, etc.) Her comb is dry, pale red, and her vent is consistent with a non-laying hen, as described on other forums. She is roughly the same size and weight as the other BR.

Pepper, the hen in front, consistently laid 5-6 eggs a week once she got going and then production just up and ceased completely about 3 weeks ago, in early October.

Both hens free range and forage during the day and have access to layer feed and oyster shells. No one appears to be molting (or even old enough to!) They all sleep securely within a locked coop at night.

Any ideas or encouragement? The ladies are great pets but I'd love to get more than 1 egg/day!

Maybe try switching them to a higher protein feed for the time being, or supplement their layer food with high protein snacks. I have recently started giving black oil sunflower seeds and a handful of cat food a couple times a week since they aren't getting bugs.
They could be affected by the shortening days, so you could try some supplemental light inside the coop to come on in the early mornings. I hope Dot starts laying for you soon. She looks beautiful, but I see what you mean by the pale comb!

welcome-byc.gif

the non layer may be just that, a bummer hen. You can keep her as a pet or cull her, your choice. I'm thinking if she hasn't laid by now, it's not going to happen.

The other bird, is it possible she's hiding eggs now, while she's free ranging? She looks like she should be laying.

donrae--
:welcome

the non layer may be just that, a bummer hen. You can keep her as a pet or cull her, your choice. I'm thinking if she hasn't laid by now, it's not going to happen.

The other bird, is it possible she's hiding eggs now, while she's free ranging? She looks like she should be laying.

I've searched and searched for any egg nests but haven't found any. And there were 4 days where I was out of town and they were stuck in the coop and run without freeranging and no eggs. :(

Back
Top Bottom