Two Black Sex Links... male or female?

I'll try that, does that usually work? I didn't think there was anything I could do to speed up this process.
It won't speed up the process as in getting them to lay earlier if they aren't laying now.

However, it will keep them from laying their eggs in odd places that you don't know about. I once found a clutch of 24 eggs from a new pullet that had been laying before I realized it.

Often new birds will lay in any old odd place leaving you to find them with an easter egg hunt. Locking them into the main coop for a few days helps them learn to lay in the nests.

Adding some golf balls or ping pong balls in the nest to help encourage them to lay where they should also helps...if they are laying.

Lady of McCamley

Nothing speeds up laying. I'm just suspicious they're already laying and hiding the nests somewhere. Confining them would just let you know if they're laying or not. It won't make a non-laying bird lay.

Agree with Lady and donrae. If these BSL pullets are five months old, you should be seeing eggs any day now. And they do look like they are either already laying or ready to lay. Confining them will let you know if they're laying or not.

Pullets can be really, really sneaky. Just like Lady, I once found a huge clutch, something like 44 eggs, from a pullet that I thought wasn't laying. I still don't know how she squeezed her body through the tiny opening to get behind the rock pile.

Agree with Lady and donrae. If these BSL pullets are five months old, you should be seeing eggs any day now. And they do look like they are either already laying or ready to lay. Confining them will let you know if they're laying or not.

Pullets can be really, really sneaky. Just like Lady, I once found a huge clutch, something like 44 eggs, from a pullet that I thought wasn't laying. I still don't know how she squeezed her body through the tiny opening to get behind the rock pile.
@WalkingOnSunshine i like your avatar. what is it?

Back
Top Bottom