Two broodies, need help pls.

marlene

Songster
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
UK
I have a silkie sitting on 6 eggs, this sunday coming will be 2 weeks that she has sat on these eggs. I now have a cochin that has gone broody, she has sat on the nest box for the last 2 days.
I was wondering if it is possible to put the cochin in with the silkie and let them share the hatch?
The silkie is in a small coop on the other side of the fencing from where the flock is as i thought it would be safer for when the chicks hatch.
So, should i move the cochin and put her in with the silkie and let them share the 6 eggs, or is there a chance the silkie and the cochin will fight over the eggs and damage them?

Any suggestions and ideas will be great

it depends on the personalities of the birds. I have had two cochins squeezed into the same nesting box for going on 3 weeks now. I have had a cochin and silkie share a nesting box and even a chook get into a nesting box with a cochin to hide from aggressive birds.
I have also had a hen leave the nest after 2 weeks which ended up with me putting the eggs into the incubator and hatching them myself. She just refused to return to nest. So try it and see what happens. Worse that can happen is the cochin will warn the silkie not to come into the nest, then you will know.

Back
Top Bottom