Two broody hens sharing two chicks

Goshen

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 11, 2009
Hollywood, SC
Just over three weeks ago our black sex-link hen started sitting on the nest. After a few days of taking the eggs away from her we decided to just let her have her way. We let her have four eggs and we continued to gather the rest. About two weeks into the incubation our Wyandote hen started sitting in the nest box with her. So we had two broody hens and four eggs.

Last week two of the eggs hatched. I removed the other two yesterday almost a week later.

The sex-link is the primary care giver, but the Wyandote is very involded and nests with the chicks every night.

I'd like to get one of the hens back to laying eggs. The sex-link was the better layer, but she is also the better mother. Any ideas???

How long will it be before they go back to laying if I just leave them alone and let them mother the chicks?

Good luck! I have 3 hens raising 3 chicks right now. My EE hatched them, but the 2 silkies heard the babies and managed to get into the pen with her and the babies. They are all content with each other and panic if I take one of the other hens out (was hoping to get the other 2 laying again). My plan is just to leave them all alone since they freak out when they're separated.

Back
Top Bottom