Two Broody hens sitting on the same nest

Hi, we have 3 hens that's been setting. Literally sitting on top of each other for weeks...we decided not to bother them. They have eggs underneath but can't wait to see how this works out and to see if we get any baby chicks. 1st Lady
How did you go? I've got 3 silkies all broody together in their own separate coop and run. There's 8 eggs between them and they're due to hatch this week. Did all your mothers get along?

This happened to me last summer and the exact same situation is unfolding again, same 2 hens. It was terrible, my silkie goes broody (as she does) and it's easier to just give her a few eggs to hatch than try to break her. So she's been sitting on 3 eggs for 2 weeks, now Lois comes along and decides she wants to hatch eggs too. Silkie is tiny and Lois is a big hen. They brood together in the same nest just fine. But once the chicks hatch it just breaks my heart. They fight like crazy over the chicks, and poor little silkie lady is just no match for big Lois. Eventually little lady has to give up, but not before Lois beats the shit out of her, and the chicks are all upset and scared, it's just the worst. I have tried to break broody hens before, but my girls are really determined. I think I'll separate Lois before the chicks hatch this time, as little silkie is my favourite and I just can't let Lois do her like that. It's a complicated situation in my experience to say the least!

This happened to me last summer and the exact same situation is unfolding again, same 2 hens. It was terrible, my silkie goes broody (as she does) and it's easier to just give her a few eggs to hatch than try to break her. So she's been sitting on 3 eggs for 2 weeks, now Lois comes along and decides she wants to hatch eggs too. Silkie is tiny and Lois is a big hen. They brood together in the same nest just fine. But once the chicks hatch it just breaks my heart. They fight like crazy over the chicks, and poor little silkie lady is just no match for big Lois. Eventually little lady has to give up, but not before Lois beats the shit out of her, and the chicks are all upset and scared, it's just the worst. I have tried to break broody hens before, but my girls are really determined. I think I'll separate Lois before the chicks hatch this time, as little silkie is my favourite and I just can't let Lois do her like that. It's a complicated situation in my experience to say the least!
Update, no two hatches are the same. Chicks hatched 3 days ago (only 2 chicks). Both hens are very successfully co-parenting the chicks. The few times I've checked, each hen has 1 chick under her. They took them outside together today for the 1st time, and they're both clucking to them and scratching around for them. I haven't seen them fight yet. My dog came to the fence (she eats chicks) and big Lois went crazy trying to attack her while little fluffy led the babies away. Then they all went together again. So far so good!

Attachments

• 20230620_152630.jpg
    20230620_152630.jpg
    885.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230620_152654.jpg
    20230620_152654.jpg
    843.1 KB · Views: 9
I have two golden seabrights that I think may be sisters,they layed in the same nest by their own choice which I thought was no big deal,now they have both become broody at the same time and are both sitting on the same nest.Has anyone ever experienced this and if so how did you handle it? I'm thinking I may do 1 of 2 things,seperate the eggs and hens and see if they will both sit,or pull one hen and let the other take care of the whole clutch,any advise will be greatly appreciated.
I have 2 hands sitting on the eggs and one nest what do I do Today May 17 days

Back
Top Bottom