two broody hens with eggs UPDATE!! Their PIPPING!

chickenranchwife

Songster
12 Years
Mar 2, 2007
North West South Dakota
March 22, I had noticed these two hens in the nest boxes. I decided to give them eggs to set on. I was in the coop just a little bit ago just to check to make sure all were in and what not. I thought I'll look under the broodies to see if there were some new eggs under them so I could set them in bator. I seen some new ones so I grabbed them. Got them into the house and noticed one had a mark on it, I did that back in March. I decided to candle it while I had it in the house and it's viable. I took it back out to the momma. Candled a few more under the other hen and yep, I'm gonna have chicks in a week or so. I'm so excited. I did notice that she had a lot of eggs under her also and some new ones. I've been leaving her alone and letting her set on whatever she had in her box.

I do have a few questions though. Should I bring them in to hatch or should I just let her hatch them out? Should I move her to a more private spot? Should I take the chicks after they are hatched? She is in the coop with the other chickens. Please let me know what you would do.

Last edited:
http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

This
is where I got all my broody information. Happy reading!
big_smile.png

Leave her alone if she is safe from predators. She doesn't need upsetting now and will protect her eggs from the other chickens.

When the eggs have hatched you might want to move Mom and the chicks to a brooding pen.

That's kind of what I was thinking I'd do twigg, thanks. I candled the eggs under her tonight and she's got 10 viable ones under her. I'm so excited. I've got two other one's that are broody too, and each of them are setting on 4 eggs as we speak. I threw one out that the first broody had been setting on it was clear.

OOOOH, I have BOs and a new BR roo from Speckled Hen. Hope to get some broodies this spring. Good luck with yours. Seems like you are doing good so far.

Back
Top Bottom