Two Broody Hens

KCAmelia

Chirping
May 31, 2015
IMG_0077.JPG
Hello, I have two broody jersey giants that went broody together, sat together, hatched together, and are raising the chicks together. So cute! There was a barred rock who sat with them, but they ran her off and kept her away soon after the hatch. She's no longer broody texhnically (roosts at night), but she does sort of follow the chicks and mamas and cluck when she finds food. So sad! After seeing that, I wanted to ask other chicken keepers if it is very common to have two Broodies get along so well. For future reference. :)

Oh I wish I could have two broodies at the same time. I usually only have one at a time right now I have one but now that I see your two mamas I'm questioning her breed I always thought she was a black australorp but she could easily be a jersey giant. Do you know how to tell the difference between the two breeds?

I had two broody sisters that decided to go broody in the same nest, the problem was that they weren't good mothers. They attacked one chick, and I took the remaining eggs and one hatched. Now the chick is an adult, but I'm sad that her sibling was killed. :hit:hit:hit

Do you know how to tell the difference between the two breeds?
I think someone told me to look at the bottoms of their feet. Jersey giant feet bottoms are green. And they have dark brown, almost black eyes. Don't think australorps do.

A few years ago, I had two silkies go broody so I split the chicks I incubated between them. They were excellent moms and did everything together just like yours is. It was great. The chicks considered both of them their moms and would go under either hen to warm up. I had hoped for the same outcome this spring, but not so lucky. I had a silkie and a mixed breed faverolle go broody so I again split the incubated chicks between them. I had not used the faverolle mix as a mom before and probably won't again. She is overly aggressive and is constantly trying to go after the silkie mom and generally causing disharmony with the whole flock. If I had somewhere else to put her I would just to keep the peace. I think she will abandon them early because I have caught her on the roost bar twice this week with her 3 week old chicks crying for her in the lower nest box. It just depends on your hens personalities. I wish I was in your situation, enjoy your two moms.

My first hatch this year was from a double broody set up. The two girls would not split up, I was trying to break them, then gave up gave them 4 eggs to see if anything would come of it.
Well they did hatch 5/6 eggs (looks like the silkie visited them) and they both are mothering the chicks. The chicks seem to have no preference on which mom they go to, and the moms don't fight or peck at each other, if fact they seem to want to stay close to each other as well. Goofy hens. I did have to split the hens up due to space, and the one outside of the cage is staying by calling chicks and so I treat her on one side and the chicks and other hen on the other side at the same time so they kinda eat together.

So this was three weeks ago tomorrow, now I have a saipan and a shamo trying the same thing...ugh. I am NOT letting them keep any eggs. Having the chicks in the coop has seemed to made the majority of my hens chick crazy, they are walking around as if they have chicks under them, making their lil mommie clucks.

I am wondering if I should let the chicks mix with the hens now or wait another week till they are bigger at 4 weeks old?

I think when to let them mix depends on where the broody stands in the pecking order. If she is a respected bird and can hold her own with the other hens, she will protect those chicks just fine if integrated. If she is lower on the pecking order and gets bullied herself, I would wait until they are a little more self-sufficient. Broody hens are the best!

I think when to let them mix depends on where the broody stands in the pecking order. If she is a respected bird and can hold her own with the other hens, she will protect those chicks just fine if integrated. If she is lower on the pecking order and gets bullied herself, I would wait until they are a little more self-sufficient. Broody hens are the best!

I think you are right about that. These two giants are at the top of the pecking order here. I'm glad you pointed that out!

I think you are right about that. These two giants are at the top of the pecking order here. I'm glad you pointed that out!

I had a broody Jersey Giant, who was the BEST mom! Nobody was messing with her or her chicks! My current broody is a Golden Wyandote, who is second lowest in the pecking order. I'm worried about how she will manage. We'll see... due to hatch next Tuesday!

Back
Top Bottom