Two Broody Sisters and One Chicky on the Way

joymo

Chirping
Nov 1, 2022
Hawaii
Hello everyone! I have 2 OEGB sisters that we've had since they were about 4 months old, they are now about a year old. They like to go broody here and there but are happy and regular layers. My son had tried to mate his hen and rooster but the the hen wouldn't sit on the eggs she would lay and would eventually crack them. With that being said, he "saved" one of her eggs and stuck it beneath our broody. It's a medium sized egg, not much bigger than the bantam eggs but we're unsure of the breed.

Pepper has been happily sitting on the egg which is on track to hatch later this week. In the last 2 days, Daisy has decided that she also wants to be a chicky mama and has gone broody as well. They sit in the same nest box and don't "fight", just screech at one another from time to time.

Though they are sisters and get along I'm very nervous about how they'll handle the chick. I've seen others who have shared that their hens have killed another to mother a chick and have also heard about hens co-parenting without an issue. Should I separate them or just monitor? Thoughts?

20230208_093702.jpg

Last edited:
Update: The egg was supposed to hatch today. I candled to see if we had any pipping but there was none. There's also no movement. I discovered a faint crack on the egg which wasn't there the other day. I suspect the chick has died. My poor girls!

Back
Top Bottom