Two chickens not eating/laying

Inkisevidence

Songster
Dec 25, 2020
Durango, CO
I have two chickens that within one day of each other became lethargic and stopped eating and drinking. One had a bubble crop that I assumed was sour crop. The other had an empty crop. I fed water and epsom to them for a few days and they both seemed fine. That was one week ago. Neither have laid an egg in over a week. I just noticed today that they both have empty crops that are flat with no sign of fermentation or souring. They are both active and running around and nibbling here and there but they are definitely not eating or drinking normally. Any ideas? Should I treat them both with copper sulfate in their water? Could they have worms? They had been free ranging a bit and could have gotten grass in their crops but that was a full 8 days ago…

They are both active and running around and nibbling here and there but they are definitely not eating or drinking normally.
Can you clarify - they ARE running around active and foraging or they ARE lethargic and not eating?

How old are they?

Please get some photos of them and their poop.
I have two chickens that within one day of each other became lethargic and stopped eating and drinking. One had a bubble crop that I assumed was sour crop. The other had an empty crop. I fed water and epsom to them for a few days and they both seemed fine. That was one week ago. Neither have laid an egg in over a week. I just noticed today that they both have empty crops that are flat with no sign of fermentation or souring.

Can you clarify - they ARE running around active and foraging or they ARE lethargic and not eating?

How old are they?

Please get some photos of them and their poop.
They were lethargic and not eating one week ago, I gave them epsom and they’ve seemed fine ever since except they haven’t laid and their crops are empty. Haven’t been able to get a picture of their food. Here is a picture of each chicken. They are acting totally fine, but they have to be starving. One is an olive Egger, 1.5 years. I don’t know the small ones breed. She’s maybe 3 years.

Attachments

• B8535AD3-9496-4B98-9AC4-EFC9F94317B3.jpeg
    B8535AD3-9496-4B98-9AC4-EFC9F94317B3.jpeg
    962 KB · Views: 5
  • 991DD137-F865-4D78-9654-043BD8079A6C.jpeg
    991DD137-F865-4D78-9654-043BD8079A6C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
they’ve seemed fine ever since except they haven’t laid and their crops are empty. Haven’t been able to get a picture of their food. Here is a picture of each chicken. They are acting totally fine, but they have to be starving. One is an olive Egger, 1.5 years. I don’t know the small ones breed. She’s maybe 3 years.
If those are photos from to day, I don't see anything concerning.
If food is available during waking hours, then they will eat what they need. Crops should be empty in the mornings and somewhat full at night when they go to roost.

Not laying eggs...they may be getting ready to molt.

If those are photos from to day, I don't see anything concerning.
If food is available during waking hours, then they will eat what they need. Crops should be empty in the mornings and somewhat full at night when they go to roost.

Not laying eggs...they may be getting ready to molt.
As I said, they never have any food in their crops at the end of the day. It feels like silly putty in there.

Back
Top Bottom