Two chicks didnt make it!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by evhammond1200, May 17, 2010.

1. evhammond1200

evhammond1200 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    Canaan, NH
    We started with 13 chicks on friday and we have lost 2 to unknown causes?? Checked them and I dont think it was pasty vent? Is it common for some of them to not make it? The other 11 seem healthy and happy?

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    sometimes the stress will get them, did you hatch them or get them in the mail. if mail, we add sugar to the water, about a tsp. per quart, and dip their beaks in the water so they know where it is..also check your heat, are they warm enough? draft free? too warm? lots of things to check. this is a good place to get info! good luck with your chicks!

3. evhammond1200

evhammond1200 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    Canaan, NH
    we got them from our local feed store. The rest all seem good and healthy eating drinking?? Temp is 95 deg they are not panting and they are not all hudled together? Brooder is big enough they can get away from heat lamp or get closer if need be they are about in the middle of the brooder most of the time so I think temp is good?

4. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    I am sorry you lost 2 chicks, sometimes they have failure to thrive. I hope the rest are all happy and healthy for you. [​IMG]. Chicks are great. Love them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by