Two cockerels - normal for one to act like a hen?

BWchicken

Songster
12 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Texas
I only have 2 chickens. I found out all my pullets were roos except one, so I kept a pair (d'uccle roo and bantam wyandotte "pullet") and rehomed the rest. The pair have been raised together and are about 13 wks old now and the roo has been crowing for about 3 weeks. Well, now the "pullet" crows. So my "pair" is actually a pair of roos.
roll.png

The one I thought was a girl (Splash) behaves like a hen. I thought chickens could tell the gender of others, but my roo also seems to think Splash is a girl. The roo calls Splash over when he finds treats and actually gives them to him. And Splash doesn't seem to have any "protector" behavior - the roo is alert and on the lookout while Splash is oblivious. They never fight and the roo only very occasionally scolds him. When I pick up or upset Splash, the roo gets very upset. And yesterday, the roo actually did a brief "rooster dance" for him.

I could go on, but you get the picture. I wish I had a video to show you their behavior. I know Splash is a rooster, but he acts like SUCH a girl! I can't rehome again, no one wants any more roos, and I'm kinda attached anyway. So I have a couple questions:

1. Is this normal behavior for two cockerels with no pullets? Because they act like they're gay or something.

2. They get along so well, but what would happen if I got some pullets for them? I want girls, but that would cause fights between the boys, right?
Would it be better to wait and get girls when the roos are older?

3. Isn't it just possible that I have a crowing pullet? Not!
big_smile.png

Splash about 2 weeks ago (around 11 wks old)
He has a rose comb (I think he's a splash wyandotte bantam )
33334_img_0339.jpg

And just because he's so cute, here is "the roo" - Little Man
Pic taken at about 11 wks old. He's a d'uccle (self blue I think)
33334_img_0340.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is fairly common and I have witnessed cockerels completely assume hen postures allowing complete dominance by a rooster. The only thing they didn't do was lay eggs.

not sure if they have ever done it with chickens,however about 10 years ago my sister found out she needed a heart and lung transplant,so while sitting around thinking my sis is going to die before that happens,I was listening to the radio and they were talking about some scientist getting a grant to do a study on HOMOSEXUALITY in fruit flies
hmm.png

so to answer your question.........I have no idea whats going on with your chickens just thougt I would share that with you

That's sad about your sister, I'm hoping things turned out better than you expected?

Hmmm... Maybe I should call that scientist and see if he wants to study my roos! They seem like good candidates! lol

But seriously, I'm glad to know this behavior is fairly common, as Opa said. Interesting how some roos accept being submissive and others don't. The nature of chickens can be fascinating. To keep peace, I hope they always stay this way, although I'm afraid maturity and/or getting pullets might change things.

My son had a black australorp rooster that was submissive to the male quineas. We saw several attempt breeding. After this had occurred several times, he found the rooster in the horse trough drowned. We think he committed suicide rather than face the other chickens.

I don't know much about different breeds of chickens but that first picture didn't look very roo-ish... not much of a tail to speak of. And I have heard of crowing hens, no kidding.

I know, right? He even LOOKS like a girl! His comb made it hard for me to tell. I don't know much about rose combs, so I assumed he was a girl. I have no idea how to tell gender by a rose comb. But I agree he is "built" like a hen.

I would LOVE for him to be a crowing pullet, I wanted him to be a girl so bad!
But even besides the fact that he crows, aren't these saddle feathers? (Please say no)
smile.png

33334_img_0356.jpg

33334_img_0355.jpg

Back
Top Bottom