Two day old chick, not like the rest, seems sick, help!

festivefeet

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
We just got a batch of chickens yesterday. We picked them up from a chicken supplier yesterday. (2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes and 2 "Easter Eggers"....all hens)

One of the buff orpingtons that we brought home is not doing well. When we first got her home she laid in the shavings looking half dead. Her neck cocked sideways and very lathargic. I thought for sure she would be dead within the night. She is still alive. It's been a bit over 24 hours since we have had them. She now will normally lay alone in our "brooder", she will occasionally drink and I am not sure I have really seen her eat much of anything. She is now walking around a bit. If we take her out of the brooder and set her on the floor she will walk fast across the floor.

Her foot has some sort of scratch or infection or something. Yellow scabbing around ankle and toe.

Her droppings are foamy and liquidy. I have not seen firm ones like the others.

We are feeding chick starter and water. I did give the others some worms today as a treat, which they loved, the sick one, was not interested. I would like her to get better but am not sure what to do with her. We have never had chicks before....so we are new at this. The hatchery said she would probably die and is probably a weak chick.

Isn't there anything I can do?

Thanks.
Jessica

Add a little sugar for energy plus a tiny bit of the vitamins & electrolytes powder you can get in a packet from the feed store (or a little Gatorade if that's all you've got!) to the chick's drinking water. This can help a lot.
I think also infant PolyVisol without iron is also good??
A little apple cider vinegar is helpful also with some problems--I've heard it can be good for at least one condition that causes crooked neck symptoms.
Neosporin will probably help LOTS with her injury.
Best wishes!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom