Two day old chick walks strangely, clumsy.

pipin

Chirping
Nov 5, 2018
Australia
Firstly, I'm sorry for having to use the most terrible Microsoft Paint picture I could make but unfortunately I'm unable to get a photo at the moment.

This lil' chick has had a rough start (I posted previously re: it!) but I've been giving her time outside with her mum and siblings and keeping her in at night since she hatched due to being stepped on by her mother / left out alone. Her lower half was completely stuck in her egg for about 12 - 15 hours when she hatched (she was completely fluffy but her legs were glued to the egg membrane) Anyway! She has an unusual walk and I'm worried...

She has gotten better after spending a long day running around with the others. She can run, eats decently (she seems a little slow to learn though), drinks and I caught her stretching out and sunbaking today too. However, she is really clumsy - she'll fall over after running, jumping, grooming and she isn't as great at jumping and landing as the others. She looks rounder than them too - kinda' like a pom pom whereas they all look distinctly like, well, chicks. But she walks almost flat footed and one leg at a time instead of a graceful walk. It's 'clunky' looking and when she sits and walks, rather than standing up straight, she stands like this (Number 2):

chicks.png
kind of low to the ground, knees bent, sometimes sitting on them until she 'wakes up' and takes off after the others. She's slow and gets left behind a lot, although her mother seems to be waiting for her a little more now.

Has anybody else had a chick like this? Should I be doing some kind of exercises with her to strengthen or improve her leg flexibility? I also noticed one foot has two or three little red marks on the bottom but no swelling or anything.

The "rounder" what does it feel like? Is there any obvious lump or bubble under the skin that would make her rounder? Like an air filled sac?

I quickly glanced at your other thread, some of what you are seeing may be a genetic defect, from trouble hatching, incubation problems or possibly injury.

I would get some poultry vitamins into her look for one that has B2 (Riboflavin). See that she is eating/drinking well.
Sometimes despite our best efforts, chicks fail to thrive, so the only thing you can do is give her a chance and see how it goes.

If she is gaining weight and able to keep up with the others fairly well and Mom is still taking her in, it's probably best she stays with the others. If she starts to fail, then you may have to separate her and brood her yourself.

The "rounder" what does it feel like? Is there any obvious lump or bubble under the skin that would make her rounder? Like an air filled sac?

I quickly glanced at your other thread, some of what you are seeing may be a genetic defect, from trouble hatching, incubation problems or possibly injury.

I would get some poultry vitamins into her look for one that has B2 (Riboflavin). See that she is eating/drinking well.
Sometimes despite our best efforts, chicks fail to thrive, so the only thing you can do is give her a chance and see how it goes.

If she is gaining weight and able to keep up with the others fairly well and Mom is still taking her in, it's probably best she stays with the others. If she starts to fail, then you may have to separate her and brood her yourself.

She feels completely normal - no bumps, lumps or squishy bits. It almost seems like she's just hunching a little to balance herself out more? I really think the issue is with her legs, which wouldn't surprise me based on her hatch and then being stepped on (right in the middle of her back, splaying her legs for a moment).

I left her overnight and just checked on her when I woke up - she's keeping up, still clunky looking but her mother has started waiting for her and almost seems to be teaching her 1-on-1 when the others are asleep. It's very cute and also seems to be a good sign, I think! She's still taking tumbles whenever she jumps or gets on one leg (to scratch or preen) but if she makes it, I think falling over here and there isn't such a terrible thing.

I will go get some additional supplements for her today for the extra boost though! Thank you for your reply! I'm new to raising chicks so I feel like I'm very panicky so it's nice to have much more well-rounded people to help out :)

Back
Top Bottom