Two Dead Chickens within 3 weeks???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MuskokaChick, Sep 11, 2011.

1. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    4 weeks ago I had a chicken go broody on me (under a year old red sex link)

I put her in the penelty box for 48 hours with food and water and she joined the others and all was fine. She wasn't laying though.

Then a week later I found her dead under the roost ??????? I checked her over, no wounds, nothing out of the ordinary, I spoke with the feed store and they said it happens but it another dies, I might want to look into it.

So here we are today, I went into the coop at 1pm to let them out to free range, and all of them seemed fine. The kids just ran in yelling another chicken was dead. Under the nest laying on her back like she fell back and stiff.

What do I do now????

my stomach is upset, the coop is clean, fresh water every day lots of food, lots of room, plus they are out free ranging all afternoon and evening

What are my next steps and how do I find out what is going on and stop it?

tia

2. MuskokaChick

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    no protocol here?

I looked over all my hens (including the dead one) and they all look healthy, nice colour, none of them look sick. Even the dead one shows no signs of illness.

?

3. 3sacrowd

3sacrowd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    I think you need to contact your state vet for a necropsy. I think in Washington state it is around $30. You might not be able to send either of these birds because of the way they want it preserved. Can you take the remaining girls to the vet?

4. MuskokaChick

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    thanks for the response...yes I am not sure (in ontario Canada)

but I guess a call to the vet wouldn't hurt.

s

5. OneTenthAcreAndAChicken

OneTenthAcreAndAChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    San Diego
    Hi - this is sad.

The folks at the RootSimple blog just lost two also. They followed up with a post about UC-Davis extension service offering free PM's in California. Maybe you could contact somebody at Ontario Animal Health Surveillance Network and see if they know of a similar service in your area.

Hope you can find something out - must be frustrating to not know.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I'm very sorry about your chickens. Sometimes the best care in the world doesn't save them. Your symptoms are very vague, I wish I could say something, but I don't know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by