two dead ducklings. Could the father be killing them?

imsomarinky

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 24, 2010
San Diego
My duck is hatching her first clutch of eggs today and the father is in there with them. The first two ducklings out were fine and looked healthy earlier today but I just found them dead outside of the nest. Mom is still on the nest with the other eggs and hatchlings. The two dead ones both head big open wounds on the back of their heads. Looks like the work of an angry mallard. We only have one male duck and he's been so set on protecting his mate and her nest so we let him stay. We've already removed him though because I'm pretty sure it's him. Did we make a mistake letting him be with the babies?

not really a mistake.. but yep, he probably did it. give him the boot and then give yourself a break...it will be ok. some drakes go after the babies and some dont. you never know..

sorry, honey.

My Rouen is sitting her 1st batch and that has been my worry, and after reading this I think I will put a divider up so that they can see each other but separate so he doesn't hurt the ducklings should they hatch.

My drake ended up killing 3 ducklings last clutch. I would defiantly separate your drake.

Yes>>>>my drake was trying to pull my hen off the nest to mate with her ..Needless to say he got to go see jesus ..

Yep my dad duck killed my baby duck, and my mom duck died from hreat fallier when she was trying to save the baby from him. So in a way he and I killed them both. I was so sad and so mad at myself and the male duck. But I knew that he was just doing what he thought needed to be done and that he didnt mean for his mate to die. Plus I blamed myself for their deaths, but I relized that there was no way of me knowing that he was going to kill the baby, and that the mom duck would also die. So I forgave myself and sold the male duck.

RIP I miss you both
67676_csc_3700.jpg

I'm so sorry about your ducklings. I do have to say that, in the wild, it would be rare for the male to kill the ducklings, usually they don't pay any attention to them. But, once in a while, it can happen. I'm glad you separated them, it's best to be safe rather than sorry.

Thanks everybody for your feedback. I felt like such a bonehead for not looking into that BEFORE it became an issue. It's good to hear I'm not alone. The rest of the ducklings are doing great though and Papa Duck is just haging out on the other side of the pen, happy as a clam.

a simple rule to remember when letting a hen do the setting: less is more. quarantine all setting hens from drakes or roos and other hens. hens too can become jealous and steal or slaughter other hens broods. if the others are not required for her to do her job, remove them. its never easy the first time.

Back
Top Bottom