Two Dead N.H. Reds, Suspect Shot

It always seemed odd to me that you don't hear more stories about cats preying on chickens.... They are predator animals... I definitely do not let mine around when the chickens are smaller. Sounds like a case of good shooting... with those high velocity pellet guns, you might could kill a cat with it. I switched to a 22 rifle just for the range. Up close, those pellets are moving.

I’ve got large two hens living in my hall - they’re recovering after a dog attack. I let them out of the run to roam in the hall and kitchen. Our lovely cat however is totally stressed out by them and I’m amazed she has never snarled at them. She has ‘herded’ four hens out in the garden. She never tried to attack them even when they were smaller.
These two push their luck with her, forcing her to get out of the way. I think that it’s when she sees them flap their wings that she sees a bigger bird. Plus Angry bird is very noisy. I’m getting desperate to get them back into the garden but the worst injured hen still needs to grow feathers in the centre of her back where the vet pulled all the skin together. It’s the most vulnerable part as the skin isn’t very thick and could easily be damaged by pecking.

I’ve got large two hens living in my hall - they’re recovering after a dog attack. I let them out of the run to roam in the hall and kitchen. Our lovely cat however is totally stressed out by them and I’m amazed she has never snarled at them. She has ‘herded’ four hens out in the garden. She never tried to attack them even when they were smaller.
These two push their luck with her, forcing her to get out of the way. I think that it’s when she sees them flap their wings that she sees a bigger bird. Plus Angry bird is very noisy. I’m getting desperate to get them back into the garden but the worst injured hen still needs to grow feathers in the centre of her back where the vet pulled all the skin together. It’s the most vulnerable part as the skin isn’t very thick and could easily be damaged by pecking.
Can you get one of those protector/harness thingies (can't think of the term right now) that folks use when hens have been over-mated by an amorous roo?

Back
Top Bottom