two ducks to one drake?

KenjiQuacker

Songster
Jan 24, 2021
Issaquah Washington
Hello!

for call ducks what's the minimum amount of females to a drake? Would 2 ducks to a drake be too little? I'm planning on getting call ducks soon, but I don't want to get very many. I'd like to breed them, but I don't want any of my ducks to suffer during mating, so I want to avoid over mating.

Thanks! :)

I don't know a certain number to tell you (hopefully someone else will!) but I believe 2 would be too few, drakes can be pretty rough. Of course there's exceptions, some are total gentlemen but I'd probably plan for more than two : D
Ok thanks! I have enough room for up to 10 ducks in my run haha, so I'll be able to get more than 2 ducks.

Metzers says as much as a 1:1 ratio. I guess it depends how prepaired you are to split them up if things get rough. If your breeding it should not be a problem as you will have breeder cages.

Metzers says as much as a 1:1 ratio. I guess it depends how prepaired you are to split them up if things get rough. If your breeding it should not be a problem as you will have breeder cages.
Thanks! I'll probably get more like 3 ducks to one drake because I'd like to try not to split them. I don't want one drake getting lonely... of course if I had to though, I would.

I have Australian Spotted 2 duck s and one drake and he prefers one of the ducks to the other and follows her around and chases the other duck off if she gets too close. That said - every once in a while I look out and see him mating her (the one he chases off) as well but mostly he stick wit his favorite girl.

Hello!

for call ducks what's the minimum amount of females to a drake? Would 2 ducks to a drake be too little? I'm planning on getting call ducks soon, but I don't want to get very many. I'd like to breed them, but I don't want any of my ducks to suffer during mating, so I want to avoid over mating.

Thanks! :)
I have Mallards and Rouens and one Mallard Drake. There are three Mallard hens and two Rouen hens and he chases after all of them. He is not a gentleman and wants as many of them as he can get. I would get a few more hens unless you can find an exceptional drake. Good luck.

I have Mallards and Rouens and one Mallard Drake. There are three Mallard hens and two Rouen hens and he chases after all of them. He is not a gentleman and wants as many of them as he can get. I would get a few more hens unless you can find an exceptional drake. Good luck.
Thank you! I'm actually not getting ducks anymore sadly... But this was very helpful information for if I ever get any in the future. Thanks again! :)

Back
Top Bottom