Two Eggs = 2 layers?

afwifey

Songster
May 12, 2018
South Carolina
So we’ve been getting 2 eggs a day several days this week. The eggs are looking super different to me BUT we only have one gal old enough to be laying! The others I raised from a week old & they are only 14 weeks! That’s too young right?
Tell me what you think! Are these both from my Silkie or do we have an incredibly early layer? 😳🥚

Attachments

• 2CD2BE59-3D19-441A-BD6E-176292816A25.jpeg
    2CD2BE59-3D19-441A-BD6E-176292816A25.jpeg
    697.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 488AA258-5C5A-408A-BA4F-2FF31016A371.jpeg
    488AA258-5C5A-408A-BA4F-2FF31016A371.jpeg
    969.7 KB · Views: 9
Agree. Early layer. Some of those look like RSL, Golden Comets, pick your name for an early laying hybrid... Egg color is right, too (at top). Typically, they begin laying between 16 and 20 weeks, but 15 weeks isn't unheard of, and 14 weeks has been reported. When did you get them (day?) and they were claimed to be how old at that time?

April 7th and I assumed about 6 days old from everything I read. Yes, they are Golden Comets! The top egg is actually our silkie’s egg! She consistently lays this size/color. The speckled egg is the new one! 😍😍😍

Odd. April 7 plus 6 days is exactly 14 weeks ago - 98 days. But none of my GC have ever laid an egg like the bottom one, all looked like the one on top. Sometimes I'll get a few spots, but nothing like "speckled". They also tend to be the brownest of my layers (though still "dark tan", rather than true brown).

Whatever, definitely two layers. You know how to vent check, to figure out which bird it is????

Odd. April 7 plus 6 days is exactly 14 weeks ago - 98 days. But none of my GC have ever laid an egg like the bottom one, all looked like the one on top. Sometimes I'll get a few spots, but nothing like "speckled". They also tend to be the brownest of my layers (though still "dark tan", rather than true brown).

Whatever, definitely two layers. You know how to vent check, to figure out which bird it is????
I do not! Is there a video or thread you’d recommend?
I also have 3 Easter eggers the same age (crested cream legbar mix, a black & white barred mix, and one that looks like a California white) and 2 Swedish Flower Hens (they are like even 5 days younger but HAVE been sleeping in the nesting boxes at night)!

I can't find it now, I think it has been talked about inside of threads and not a thread of its own. From memory, with no personal experience....a dry, tight/puckered vent is a non-layer. A laying hen's vent will be the opposite (it sounded a little dirty to type the words in my head). I can only think that checking would only be needed for curiosity or breeding reasons.

I can't find it now, I think it has been talked about inside of threads and not a thread of its own. From memory, with no personal experience....a dry, tight/puckered vent is a non-layer. A laying hen's vent will be the opposite (it sounded a little dirty to type the words in my head). I can only think that checking would only be needed for curiosity or breeding reasons.
Very cool, thank you!

I also have 3 Easter eggers the same age (crested cream legbar mix, a black & white barred mix, and one that looks like a California white) and 2 Swedish Flower Hens (they are like even 5 days younger but HAVE been sleeping in the nesting boxes at night)!

All credit to @aart for this resource.

UNH has a video on youtube as well for identifying productive layers. I remember it positively, but haven't watched it in a long while.

Back
Top Bottom