Two Eggs in a Day? Tube Egg?

omga747

In the Brooder
May 12, 2022
Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster! I got a weird one this morning. One of my Rhode Island Reds did not want to get off the roost this morning for about 15 minutes, and when she did finally come down she was looking very dumpy and lethargic. Within about 5 minutes, she squatted in the middle of the run and laid this egg:
image000000(1).jpg

Very thin shelled with the fleshy looking blob on top. Upon close inspection, the fleshy bit is actually a tube attached to the top of the egg, where there's actually a little hole for the tube. Normal white and yolk on the inside.
The chicken perked up a little but was still a bit lethargic and not eating at all. A couple hours later, she went to sit in the nest. She was in there for a couple hours, and by the time she got out (~5 hours after the first egg), there was a second egg under her. Smaller than her normal eggs, but otherwise a totally normal egg. I would have thought one of our other hens had snuck in there and laid it, but out of our 4 chickens, we ended up with 5 eggs today! Once she laid the second egg and got out the nest, she perked up immensely. Sung for a little bit, ate some food, and generally went back to normal.
So I guess my question is, what the heck is going on? Luckily the hen is now basically back to normal, but that was quite the scare in the morning. I've had a hen lay twice in one day, but it was one early in the morning and one in the evening, with the second one totally shell-less. This was two eggs less than 5 hours apart, both with at least some shell. Thanks for any insight!

Last edited:
Softshell eggs can be hard to move down the pike, nothing hard for contractions to work against......so yes they can act weird before laying a softie.

The 'tube' is just part of the membrane that was malformed.

As to why?<shrugs> Hard to say.
How old is this bird, in months?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

She is 23 months old. They have free access to 16% layer pellets and broken up egg shells plus an hour a day in the lawn for grass, clover, dandelions, etc. Treats from the kitchen whenever available. In the last week or so, they've gotten cantaloupe seeds, papaya seeds and skins, and chopped up broccoli stems.

Back
Top Bottom