Two eggs

tinamiller1

Chirping
Aug 3, 2020
This had occurred 2 times over 3 months. I have one hen that had laid between 6 and 730 am then 6 and 7 pm before bed. She had done it twice. The rest lay everyday. No skips so far. I have RIRs and they get normal feeding but I do put vitamins in water and wonder if the vitamins are causing it. Any advice? Not complaining a couple more here and there love it. My concern is for my hen and her laying habits.

This had occurred 2 times over 3 months. I have one hen that had laid between 6 and 730 am then 6 and 7 pm before bed. She had done it twice. The rest lay everyday. No skips so far. I have RIRs and they get normal feeding but I do put vitamins in water and wonder if the vitamins are causing it. Any advice? Not complaining a couple more here and there love it. My concern is for my hen and her laying habits.
How old are birds, in months, and how long have they been laying?

I doubt vitamins will spur more ovulation, but what exactly are you giving them and why?
All they need is a good chicken ration and plain water.

How many birds do you have?
How sure are you that one bird is laying 2 eggs in a single day?
Are both egg fully shelled?
It's pretty rare.

How old are birds, in months, and how long have they been laying?

I doubt vitamins will spur more ovulation, but what exactly are you giving them and why?
All they need is a good chicken ration and plain water.

How many birds do you have?
How sure are you that one bird is laying 2 eggs in a single day?
Are both egg fully shelled?
It's pretty rare.
I have six birds and they are tagged and every morning before 8am I get 4 eggs. Then around 9am two more. The first time this happened I had 7 eggs total. The 6 from morning and then went to get them ready for bed time and another egg was there. That time I had no clue who did it because did not witness. But the other day I did. I was doing my normal morning routine and had 4 eggs and as I was cleaning the hen house which I do daily. They never go to bed in poop. My Hobble was laying and I watched her lay. Nice brown egg and solid. Thank honey. Came back around lunch to check on them and there is another egg so have my 6. Went in the evening to get them ready for bed and Hobble was in the hen house and checked on her and she was in the laying pose. I am like girl, you did this earlier. Out pops an egg and this one was not hardly brown. The shell was solid but not hard like her morning egg. I am assuming she was the one that did this the first time. One thing about her is she started laying at 15 weeks. She was the first layer and another thing is she was on Metacam at 5 days old for 5 days. The vet said she had sprained leg when I took her in because she was Hobbling and that is how she got her name Hobble. Online vets said slipped tendon and cull her and I am like nope. Will find someone physically. So, I wonder if the Metacam that I believe is steroid has caused this and eventually she will be on a normal routine. They are all 7 months old now as of 2/15.

Are you sure they are RIR or maybe red sexlinks?
Some high production birds are more likely to be over achievers.

Quick google tells me that Metacam is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory.

Are you sure they are RIR or maybe red sexlinks?
Some high production birds are more likely to be over achievers.

Quick google tells me that Metacam is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory.
I bought them from McMurray and they said they were RIR's

Back
Top Bottom