Two hens are afraid of or disinterested in new rooster.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joebryant, Oct 23, 2009.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

About a week ago I moved two 18-month-old hens from their coop to one of the barn coops that Anne and I made for breeding purposes. I put them with a young rooster that they are either very afraid of or have no interest in. He forcibly breeds them. They both cower in a corner and won't come out of it. How long might this last? Is it possible that they will never accept the new situation? They hadn't been with a rooster for about two months. Also, they've stopped laying.

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I'm no expert on rooster relations. Not by a long shot. I usually sell or eat them at the first sign of the hormone surge. But... Might it be helpful if you could separate the hens and the roo for a while with chicken wire or something? So they could see each other and get to know each other a little better before the molestation begins?

Just an idea.

3. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Quote:I'm no "relationship expert", either, but separating them with wire, while they get to know each other, is what I do when I integrate new hens into the flock, and it works great (I usually give them at least a week). Don't see why it wouldn't work with hens and rooster.

4. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

They will either get used to him or not. I wouldn't seperate them again by wire or anything... I've done this dozens of times this last year.
    Most times they learn to get along and trust him eventually. It has taken as long as 8 weeks before though.. Recently I gave up on one combination... the girls just WOULDN'T take to the new guy... they kept escaping their pen for 5 weeks and running back to their "man". [​IMG]

in the meanwhile, I try to make sure that the girls have access to another feeder where they feel safe. if it extends to a long period of time, I might let either the girls OR the rooster out to range from time to time so they can have a break from him.

5. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have raised birds for a long time…no not chickens. However, they are still birds and we greedy boogers still want our eggs and MORE chickens.

People you are not giving your animals enough credit. Yes, most of the time putting a male and female together nature will just takes it course. Ta da! However, as with humans the animal kingdom also has its quirks. Just because you cannot tell the difference does not mean that they cannot.

The best breeding comes from contented animals. You can continue to “stress” your animals or give them some time and space or a new mate. What a difference it makes.

I had a Peking Robin once, a male. Better known as a Nightingale and he went through two females before he found his love. I could not tell the difference. However, I guess he could. He didn’t hurt these other females he just ignored them. When I brought home No.3 female, it was amazing to watch. When they saw each other and I didn’t even have her out of the cage yet….they both went berserk and he sang his head off and they were the happiest two birds I ever saw.

As long as my animals were up to the “Standards”, I would pair them according to their likes and dislikes. That may sound funny to us but the animals certainly know the difference. It is a shame that we allow our hens to be battered by what we think are such macho roosters. I would run and hide too if I was treated like that. But then that is just me. [​IMG]

6. ybmagpye

ybmagpye Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Fair Oaks, California
    Ladyhawke1 that is the sweetest post I have ever read! Your nightengale story is particularly touching.

Geez! Got to me. May have to wimble a bit. Will absolutely take what you say to heart, because it is soo very true.

I Thank you.

The hens, sure as hell, thank you too. [​IMG]

7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Ladyhawk1 and ybmagpye, I've considered that, and I think that you're right, too, Ladyhawk1. I'm going to wait a while though because this rooster is only six months old. He's like a teenager with raging hormones; maybe when the honeymoon's over, he'll settle down. Sure hope so.

8. The Zoo

The Zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    I don't mean to hijack but do roosters calm down after a while?
    I have a 7 month old who just yesterday has started making his move up the pecking order and he and my older hens are squabbling and he's no longer backing down. He tried to mate one of them this morning and I was so worried about the violence of the whole thing I ran out and stopped it. Maybe I shouldn't have but she kept sticking her head through the fence and I was worried she'd really hurt herself.
    They were all in a huckus for about 15 minutes afterwards, very sensitive to anyone making any moves but now they're totally fine.
    I'm hoping he's just trying to establish his dominance and that he will eventually calm down. If not - he's gone.

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Just give it some more time they will work it out soon enough, not to worry.

AL

10. The Zoo

The Zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    Quote:Ok - deep calming breaths. Maybe I should tell the hens to do some too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by