Two hens in a 10×10

Welcome to the flock. You are off to a great start. I think you've done well, being given chickens with no previous knowledge and not having a setup. After all, you found us! Now that you're here, do take advantage of the advice, and properly cover the run with wire on top and around. Check out the coop pages for plans, or with just two, you might consider a prefab coop, but know that all prefabs are not equal, and even the best ones need some tweaking to make them secure. Meanwhile, I think if you raise that dog house on stilts, they may be more inclined to use it. Chickens like to roost on the highest place.

The run space is nice, though I agree... re-purpose that kennel as a nesting box. How susceptible do you think you'll be to chicken math? An XL prefab may be okay if you're not planning on growing your flock (one that 'says' it can handle 4-6 birds), but I would not rely on one of those for more than two birds.
If you're DIY inclined, definitely design your own - you can make it custom fit for your needs and climate in a way no prefab will ever be. I strongly recommend a raised coop - they are great at providing additional shelter from rain\sun and give that added security at night. I also placed their permanent dust bath and food under there to protect them from the elements.
Depending on your predator situation, get some aviary wire to cover the bottom sections of the run and be wary of pests which dig under (like rats) and ones that go over (like sparrows). Both will steal food, so make sure food is unreachable for the latter and locked away at night for the former. - no need to feed the whole neighborhood.

Back
Top Bottom