Two Hens in Need of Rehoming (Orange or Los Angeles County)

xpatriciachen

Hatching
Aug 6, 2021
Hi everyone, my husband and I just bought a home and our new yard is unfortunately unsuitable to give our two hens the life they deserve. We think the larger brown one (a whopping 8 pounds) is a New Hampshire Red, and we think the smaller black one, who weighs about 4 pounds, is some kind of Langshan hen based on the feathers on her feet. We’re not sure how old they are, but they were pullets when my mom brought them home in September 2020 and they only began laying earlier this year, so they are probably around a year old.

They’re currently living in my parent’s side yard in Anaheim, where they have ample room to free range and jump for passion fruit leaves, dig up our kale patch, and nap/bathe in the afternoons. My parents are retiring and moving away as well, so we’re looking for the right fit to give them a happy life together, ideally somewhere with a huge lawn they can dig around in. They are bonded to and protective of each other so we’d like them to stay together. They are a little skittish and wary of us (probably because we got them as pullets and not as chicks) but will squat and let themselves be picked up briefly if you tempt them with a treat. They don’t like to be held for too long and prefer to be near each other as often as possible.

They both started laying for the first time in January and February of this year and are fairly consistent layers. They underwent treatment for worms recently (July 13) so their eggs won’t be available for eating until August 24 (6 weeks, as recommended by the vet), but they are otherwise very delicious and fresh tasting. You’d need to be able to come pick them and their coop up (purchased from Tractor Supply Company in October 2020) in Anaheim, but I’ll include their feeder, waterer, and some nesting material. They’ve been eating layer crumbles and grit and are given fresh kale (yes, they are picky about it being fresh and not store bought) arugula, and marigolds as treats, as well as occasional handfuls of safflower or black sunflower oil seeds. Yes, they are sometimes hand fed and yes, they have been spoiled rotten!

I’m heartbroken to be leaving them but am hoping that someone can give them a wonderful and peaceful life. Please feel free to reach out with any questions and I’d be happy to answer!

Attachments

• 32D5A965-F76F-4169-9659-ECA09F3E846A.jpeg
    32D5A965-F76F-4169-9659-ECA09F3E846A.jpeg
    857.1 KB · Views: 13
  • EFD84D84-0FB6-47B8-8E0D-EF09CE1F7013.jpeg
    EFD84D84-0FB6-47B8-8E0D-EF09CE1F7013.jpeg
    740.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 73A9B767-5453-41B5-8E1E-1B7F44F7CEED.jpeg
    73A9B767-5453-41B5-8E1E-1B7F44F7CEED.jpeg
    648.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 9F4509A4-7699-4D2D-A860-C1E71659BACB.jpeg
    9F4509A4-7699-4D2D-A860-C1E71659BACB.jpeg
    718.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Hi everyone, my husband and I just bought a home and our new yard is unfortunately unsuitable to give our two hens the life they deserve. We think the larger brown one (a whopping 8 pounds) is a New Hampshire Red, and we think the smaller black one, who weighs about 4 pounds, is some kind of Langshan hen based on the feathers on her feet. We’re not sure how old they are, but they were pullets when my mom brought them home in September 2020 and they only began laying earlier this year, so they are probably around a year old.

They’re currently living in my parent’s side yard in Anaheim, where they have ample room to free range and jump for passion fruit leaves, dig up our kale patch, and nap/bathe in the afternoons. My parents are retiring and moving away as well, so we’re looking for the right fit to give them a happy life together, ideally somewhere with a huge lawn they can dig around in. They are bonded to and protective of each other so we’d like them to stay together. They are a little skittish and wary of us (probably because we got them as pullets and not as chicks) but will squat and let themselves be picked up briefly if you tempt them with a treat. They don’t like to be held for too long and prefer to be near each other as often as possible.

They both started laying for the first time in January and February of this year and are fairly consistent layers. They underwent treatment for worms recently (July 13) so their eggs won’t be available for eating until August 24 (6 weeks, as recommended by the vet), but they are otherwise very delicious and fresh tasting. You’d need to be able to come pick them and their coop up (purchased from Tractor Supply Company in October 2020) in Anaheim, but I’ll include their feeder, waterer, and some nesting material. They’ve been eating layer crumbles and grit and are given fresh kale (yes, they are picky about it being fresh and not store bought) arugula, and marigolds as treats, as well as occasional handfuls of safflower or black sunflower oil seeds. Yes, they are sometimes hand fed and yes, they have been spoiled rotten!

I’m heartbroken to be leaving them but am hoping that someone can give them a wonderful and peaceful life. Please feel free to reach out with any questions and I’d be happy to answer!
Did you find a home?

Back
Top Bottom