Two hens laying two eggs at a time!

DIMBY

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Western Colorado
Honestly, I'm not making this up. I have two hens, one a RIR, the other a 'mutt' a cross between a red and white. The RIR, Ladybird, is about 21 weeks old, has been laying for about ten days now, the mutt, Spot, is about 29 weeks, has been lying for about six weeks. They are completely unrelated, came from two different breeders. I only have five laying hens at the moment.

I work out of my home, so I'm back there a lot, watching and observing and just relaxing. I wondered about Spot, about three weeks ago, because there were two eggs when she got out of the nest box and the other hen that uses that same area had already laid hers just an hour or so before.

Then, yesterday, two eggs again from Spot. Now, Ladybird just came out of her nexting box -- and there were two eggs!!!! I have been back near the run and hen house much of the afternoon because I have a broody-in-training Aussie so I've been watching her closely. All of my hens free range in the back yard so it's relatively easy to watch which ones go into the hen houses (I have two hen houses close to each other) and which are still in the yard.

So, this is unbelievable, I know, but I'm going to keep my camera close by and switch it to time/date mode to get proof!

caf.gif
pop.gif

Well Ive had chickens, ducks & guineas lay 2 eggs in the same day..but ive never seen when they were laid, I just assumed it was morning & night.
Right now i have 5 amberlink hens, some days theres 8 eggs..sometimes 6..but theres more than 1 of them laying twice a day. I know theres nothing else that i have thats old enough or that can get way up where they like to lay..other than the bantam modern games- and no way could they lay eggs this size.

We have 9 pullets, 4 black sex-links and 5 red sex-links, about 6 months old. Some days we get 7 or 8 eggs, some days we get 13 or 14 eggs. Some eggs are duck-egg size still.(ouch!)
Our eight year old daughter has an uncanny sense of when they are going to lay, and we know of one day when we had just gotten 8 eggs, and a few minutes later, the hens ran back into their coop and we got six more!

Okay, I thought maybe i could have missed one earlier in the day, but I also think my "easter egger" laid two at once, too. Only have one of them, so it's easy to tell which are hers, green eggs...
got ham?
big_smile.png

One of my Buff Orpingtons will occasionally pull a double-header if she has skipped a couple days laying. Every time she has laid two, one of them is very thin/soft shelled, like it wasn't "done".

Back
Top Bottom