Two Hens with small chics

FairviewChic

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 16, 2008
FIRST TIME POST

Just started raising Bantams (Golden Seabright). Have two hens with new chicks. One hen has 7 chicks (hatched May 8th) other hen has 11 chicks (hatched 10 days later). We separated the first hen when chicks first hatched afraid the Rooster might harm babies. First time we tried to reintroduce mom and 7 back into main coop (at about 2 weeks old) the chicks got mixed up as to who was mom. Hens started pecking the "wrong" chicks and a couple didnt survive. Got them separated again, but are afraid to attempt to rejoin them again. At what age will they be safe to move back together?

Hi FairviewChic, and Welcome to BYC!

I'm so sorry to hear that your reintegration attempt went so horribly awry! Truly sorry.

I'm not sure when you will be able to safely put them back together again. I don't separate my broodies and chicks at all, but I have very nice chickens. Lucky me.

I have a hatch of 5 week old chicks out running around right now. Their mother is still with them. They seem a bit too small to protect themselves if the others were to attack them. I also have 9 week old chicks who are on their own. They are at the bottom of the pecking order, but seem able to get away from any harrassment by the adults. But it's only harrassment, not actual violence here.

I hope that my reply will put your post at the top of the list, and someone with more knowledge will see it, and give you a better answer.

Good Luck!

We kept Milly (mum hen) and her chicks seperate until she wanted to go back into the pen with the other adult hens, when the chicks were about ten weeks old. She went back with the other girls, and the three BO chicks stayed seperated until they were fully grown. At 16 weeks they were able to defend themselves and withstand some amount of pecking, and integrated fine
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom