Two how often questions

porkchop48

Songster
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Malta, OH
How often do you have to change the hay in nesting boxes? What is good to use in nesting boxes?

And how many times a day do you collect eggs?

We were just told by a family friend that we have to have an AC in the summer and a heater in the winter or the eggs will go bad....True? Kinda true?False?

I am not sure what others use but i use pine shavings and straw in the nest boxes. I change it when its dirty - like if they poo in there.

I collect eggs once a day when I feed/water them and check them for the night. usually first thing after I get done work.

I collect eggs that I ship out for hatching more often- but the eggs for eating I usually just do once a day.

I don't heat or air condition my barns. but i use heat lamps in the bantam barn to keep the waters from freezing and the smaller birds need the heat.
In summer I open all the windows and do use a fan to circulate the air so they dont get too hot.
I would think it would depend where you live if you have to use heat or air conditioning. I live in NY state 1 hr south of montreal so we get a lot of snow in the winter months and cold.

I know in the winter the large eggs crack and I toss most of them that are this way. Unless they are "clean" and I wash them and thaw them and use them that day.

I am sure others have opinions on here.

Back
Top Bottom