two issues:

Jun 16, 2017
We got first time chickens last fall so this is the first time we've experienced hatching, and I have two problems;
1) there are two chicks that have been in the nest for two days, and when the brooder got up today there were about five eggs left and what looks like a dead chick laying amongst them. There is a horrible smell coming from the nest, along with a couple of broken egg shells (from the hatched chicks) What should I do? Do I remove it, how do I check for a bad egg? (if that's where the smell is coming from) or do I just trust her to take care of it?

2) Before she went into brooding, all the chickens were laying in an off-the-ground nesting box. When she went into brooding, I moved the box to a private area on the ground. I am now realizing that the box itself is too deep for the chicks to get out of. How do I help them get food and water? I don't want to move the entire nest to a new location because she is still sitting on eggs that may hatch.

First...You need to remove the dead chick and candle the other eggs to see if they are still alive...before they all explode in there and you have a real stinky mess.

Could you remove the box all together and leave her on the ground?

I agree with KikisGirls, you need to get the bad eggs and body out of there. Can you put some more bedding in the box to shallow it up? If not, I would just remove the box.

thank you! when I got home the other night, mom and her babies had abandoned the nest, so it was easy to get of all the mess. Than you for the responses!

Back
Top Bottom