Two Jakes?

DillardHome

Songster
12 Years
Sep 2, 2009
Claxton, GA
I received these two Royal Palms from a friend. However we are unsure if they are two Jakes or if one is a hen? They both flair out but the one on the left stays in the pose longer. The one in question is the one on the right.

I have more pics and a couple videos if needed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220203-121320_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220203-121320_Gallery.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20220203-121317_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220203-121317_Gallery.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 2
I received these two Royal Palms from a friend. However we are unsure if they are two Jakes or if one is a hen? They both flair out but the one on the left stays in the pose longer. The one in question is the one on the right.

I have more pics and a couple videos if needed.
Both are guaranteed toms. Once they have their adult feathers Royal Palm hens have all white breast feathers. Royal Palm toms have black lower edges on their adult breast feathers.

Both are guaranteed toms. Once they have their adult feathers Royal Palm hens have all white breast feathers. Royal Palm toms have black lower edges on their adult breast feathers.
In general that's true but here in Europe, the really well pigmented females do have black edges on their breast feathers.

One of my females:

IMG_20171020_141750.jpg

aIMG_20171215_144219.jpg

In general that's true but here in Europe, the really well pigmented females do have black edges on their breast feathers.

One of my females:

View attachment 2984266
View attachment 2984268
Thank you for your feedback! Interesting!! She flairs out like a Tom. Is it safe to assume since her snood isn't as long like a Tom that could be an indicator? Because one of mine has it past the beak and the other maybe goes to eye level.

Thank you for your feedback! Interesting!! She flairs out like a Tom. Is it safe to assume since her snood isn't as long like a Tom that could be an indicator? Because one of mine has it past the beak and the other maybe goes to eye level.
What age are your turkeys. Hens don't get caruncles as big as both of yours have until they are older. Check the top of their heads. I can't tell from these pictures but they both look like they have bald heads and no "mohawk". Another indicator of a tom.

While hens can have beards, their beards don't tend to be heavy like a tom's beard. Both of your turkeys appear to have equal sized beards.

Last edited:
From what I can see in your pictures they are both jakes. Both have large caruncles, same size beards, both look to be same size. Also looks like larger spur buds than a hen would have. Nothing I can see in your pics tells me hen. I believe only reason it doesn't strut as much as other is, one jake has dominancy top in pecking order over other and less dominant knows and accepts his place. You could take a few more pics from front, back and side, but when you add them select full image when downloading pics in post it allows for enlarging picture for better observation.

Back
Top Bottom