Two legged predator !!! how to stop the person...

This may make some people upset, but you couldn't pay me to live in texas again. The attitude about being able to protect yourself with a gun is a two edged sword. Yes, I have a gun, several in fact, and I'd protect myself if need be, so no, I'm not an anti-gun liberal. I'm somewhat of a liberal, and I try to be tolerant of people who don't look or act exactly like me, I bet I could even tolerate most of you guys as neighbors!
wink.png
. But I'm not afraid of registering my guns, and I don't care if you go to church or not... partly because if I had lawless neighbors who had guns, that were threatening me somehow, there would be more that could be used against them.

Also, our Sheriff here doesn't blow off coming to the rescue of residents who are threatened somehow... we actually do have some scary neighbors two doors down. Thing is, they're very polite and careful around us and don't threaten me or mine, partly I think, because we have an effective sheriff's dept and while it isn't perfect, they know if we have cause to call the sheriff on them, they'd be in deep doo doo.

I called the sheriff dept to discuss the situation, but they can't just do a preemptive strike, so they need cause to go visit them. While we think there's shady business there, they stay off my property, and they don't bother us, we wave politely when passing, and say hello if we see each other. If there were squatters or real bad stuff going on, I am sure the sheriff would take action, not just assume we're armed and will protect ourselves.

I guess this has turned into a bit of a rant, I like the ideas that would make life difficult for the thieves, and would ruin their shoes, and track permanent dye anywhere they walk, probably ruin their pants too, maybe they wouldn't care, maybe they would.

I don't think some stolen eggs or chickens is justifiable reason to shoot them... here the house would have to be entered and my family in fear... which, a jerk in my house uninvited would qualify for I'd say! Yes, I see most of your points about your property and livestock etc, but that's not enough for me to take a human life. Maybe just a flesh wound? heh.

Dye, locks, dye on the locks so they'd get it on their hands and faces too!!! No deep pits, or punji stakes, no bear traps or other nastiness, no matter how much they deserve it. Some little kid or friendly mutt or even one of your own chickens would be the more likely victim. Or you some sleepy morning!

Portage Girl,

I can't say that i have too many nice things to say about any Texas police force, sadly. I have seen abuse and really negative attitudes from many. Let's just say, i haven't seen too many active police forces that were protecting or serving - THEREFORE, i am happy to live in a county where the sheriff's office takes a more hands-off approach. No place is perfect. Texas is close.
wink.png
gig.gif

Im in the public safety field and I must say too many folks put faith in the govt... Look if there is a natural disaster youd better fend for yourself the govt admits it will be at least 48 hours before you see anyone.. Last year with the swine flu and potential avian flu there were govt officials surveying farmers fields you know what for MASS GRAVES they knew the govt couldnt provide enough vaccine in a timely manner to save everyone so they were looking for places to put bodies... There was talk of not going on rescue calls as there would be no place to take em etc etc... Folks if you put your faith in govt it is misplaced govt may or may not be there for you and out in the country your on your own.. Quick little tale my wife is home alone and Ive left for work at 0500 at o615 she looks on the porch and a raggedy colored gent is there peerin in the windows... Now I live 1700 feet or more off a country road... She goes to the door and the dude is like Im hear to fix your furnace.. (we have geo thermal and house is 2 years old no fixin here) well his van is a white clunker and he has blocked the wifes car in... She tells him to come back later he says no Ive got to get in to see the furnace well he has no work order no markings on truck etc... My 4 dogs are going ape... Well dude steps twards the door and wifey grabs my shotgun and sticks it in his gut he takes off... Police show up 15 min later real timely response huh!!!

Y'all are too caught up it your guns and Texas!

Anyone realize the OP hasn't posted since Sunday??

Hopefully they didn't decide to do something rash and get nailed themselves.

This is the first time I've heard of fields being surveyed for mass graves. I work in a hospital setting, and we definitely had plans for how we would handle the H1N1 outbreak. I work in a smaller hospital, and I am sure that larger hospitals had their plans in place at least as quickly as we did.
Maybe we can't trust in the government for everything, but that doesn't mean we have to grab a gun and take the law into our own hands immediately when a chicken goes missing. Borrowing a game cam, etc. are very reasonable ideas. Shooting someone who is entering your hen house is not.
I do believe in the right to bear arms, and we do have guns in our home. I just don't think that guns are the immediate go-to item in a situation like this. I don't think bear traps, a pit dug in front of the door, etc. are the way to go, either. Figure the situation out safely, and go from there.

Dora'smom :

This is the first time I've heard of fields being surveyed for mass graves. I work in a hospital setting, and we definitely had plans for how we would handle the H1N1 outbreak. I work in a smaller hospital, and I am sure that larger hospitals had their plans in place at least as quickly as we did.
Maybe we can't trust in the government for everything, but that doesn't mean we have to grab a gun and take the law into our own hands immediately when a chicken goes missing. Borrowing a game cam, etc. are very reasonable ideas. Shooting someone who is entering your hen house is not.
I do believe in the right to bear arms, and we do have guns in our home. I just don't think that guns are the immediate go-to item in a situation like this. I don't think bear traps, a pit dug in front of the door, etc. are the way to go, either. Figure the situation out safely, and go from there.

Not for H1N1 that turned into a real boondoggle but it was a interesting dry run... I was amazed at how really little info was coming in for that I.e where to go to get vaccine etc it was a real play it by ear but it was a real good learning lesson... Now when Avian flu and SARS was around there were in fact plans in place to find homes for bodies... that was what 5 years ago but that went away... point is if you wait for the govt to take your hand or tell you what to do then you will be disappoint5ed... I agree a game cam is a must but i know in a county to my north there is 1 deputy patrolling the county many days a week!!!!! this is due to budget cuts... Many times there are 2 but not that often... there are times you wait 45 min to an hour for a respoonse and this isnt for a minor call this is for weapons reports assaults etc you can only stretch 2 folks so far... same thing to the north a ciyt is laying off mor FF and will have 1 station covering 25000 people... Anyway I hope the OP locks the coop and also gets a came cam I also hope the PD there is proactive but anymore you cant tell ALSO anyone tracking that home invasion trial in Conn where the 2 cons took the family hostage and killed 2 kids and the mom while according to court transcripts the police set up a perimeter!!!!!!! hmmm this ought to be a big eye opener you are the first line of defense in your home that has been how it has been since time began... I personally think the poster may get more traction by getting vids of the perps and going to the media a slow news day they might take it up... You know the bigger thing is will it stop in the coop or go on.... I know I now have an alarm system its cellular based I can add web cams all wireless up to 500 feet away and view from web total cost to me was 800 out door and I spend 40 a month to monitor fire flood and break in... Not so much as I want the cops to intervene but i dont want the wife comin home to a visitor in house... IT IS A SHAME YOU CANT HAVE CHICKENS AND NOT WORRY A CROOK WILL WALK AWAY WITH THEM!!!!!!!!​

If possible, I'd put floodlights on motion sensors... really high powered floods put too high for the thieves to get at. Cameras are also a good idea.

I'd boobytrap the handles with overhead dye packets on threads tied to the handles. Red or bright green liquid dye. Use very very thin zip bags hung on an angle with the zip open but the dye not leaking out. My son accidentally spilled a bottle of RIT dye in the grocery aisle. It took more than a week to get the stuff off his face and hands.

And I'd put padlocks on the coop doors. Heavy hasped Master locks that can't be cut with bolt cutters.

Plus, I'd think about moving the chickens into your garage at night in a temporary coop.

As much as I'd be tempted to threaten thieves with firearms, airsoft or paintball markers, I'd be concerned about retaliation, either legal or intimidation so I'll leave the weapons in their cases. We own guns, we're concealed carry permit holders, and trained to use them. But I believe the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Chickens are not people, even though we love them.

However, if those same thieves were trying to break into my house or assault me it'd be completely different.

Hello everyone, sorry for not posting have been working 12 hr shifts, I have made a decision to my problem without causing harm to the thieves, due to the great law if they get hurt on my property I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR THEM, isnt that a load of crap !! they steal and they get hurt from something on my property and I have to pay for damages to them.There is a solution it isnt nice but seems to work very well!! if someone puts up signs saying want drugs/ wanna be a thief go to such and such street, and post it up/near were certain authorites will see it, then they wil be forced to look deeper into the problem !!! .This way is Great they cant sue you/nor can they say you said anything there are no names on signs !!bye bye theives and druggies !!!!

Quote:
I'm sorry you have to deal with this, and every area is different. i know I would not show restraint. I would yank those little blankity blanks back to their house by their ears and throw them to their "mother" and demand some answers of why those little pooheads are running rampid and hurting animals. Then I would call 911 right in front of her and tell her to wait and answer that question in front of the responding officer.

I don't play nice at all... especially with little blankity blanks. lol
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom