Two level coop..... A few more Coop Questions....(New Pic)

okie16

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 3, 2008
Central Oklahoma
Would adding a second level(floor) to my coop be adding more sq ft?

My coop is going to be 5x12. I thought about at one end adding a second level. It would be 5x4.

If this is a good idea how high off the ground should I make the second level?

Last edited:
yes that would add square feet

I would need a picture to understand what your asking (how high)

You could add that second level keep it separate from the others! could be for another breed, brooding area for chicks to grow to size of flock when you mix, breeding area many opyions!

Sounds good. Also, if you're just looking for additional space for a lot of chickens, setting up shelves and roosts adds too. I did that and it really gives them options... and the low ones on the pecking order can find their own space away from big alpha momma

Vertical space is almost as good as horizontal space. My coop has a dirt floor, roosts two feet above that, and an enclosed shelter two feet above those.

Do any of you have pics of these or are they already on here to look at somewhere? That sounds like something we will need to do. Never thought of this, thanks guys
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Here's a pic of one under construction. Ridin' Shootin' Rootin' Tootin' Rudy is standing on the floor, you can see a roost behind his hip, and his left hand is on a floor joist of what will become the loft.

IMG_0623-1.jpg

thanks for everyones replys.

Does it matter how high the second level is? I was thinking 3 to 4 feet off the floor with a ramp going up to it. I want the second level high enough so that they don't want to go under it to lay eggs.

As far as my second level goes, do they need a ramp or will they fly up to it?

We are going to be useing the window(3ft x 5ft) for the door for the chickens to get from the coop to the run. The outside run is going to be completely covered with wire fenceing. So, its suppose to be preditor proof. Is it ok for the "door" to be that big(3ft x 1ft)? We only plan on openning the window about 1ft.

Back
Top Bottom