Two lots of dates in incubators

jaywin

Chirping
Apr 28, 2020
Hi
I have some Maran eggs in my incubator due on the 17th June so no longer being turned from 14th June. I will then be giving these to a broody who is currently sat on fake eggs.
NowI have some Australorp eggs I want to put in the incubator tonight 8th June and so they will still need turning on the 14th to 17th. I have plenty of broodys so may give these eggs to one to do the full job herself ? but all broodys are first time mums this year and so I haven’t given them many up to now. I have 8 Australorp eggs and the hen is a Barnevelder.
I can’t turn the eggs by hand for those few days as it means opening the incubator during lock down for the 6 Maran eggs.
I could give the Maran eggs to the broody they are meant for, on the 14th and let her do the last few days?
Any input and experience gratefully received- what would you do?

Yes you can give the maran eggs to the broody. Take away the fake eggs.
@SueT
Hi
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have had a think and as you suggest I will be giving the eggs to the broody on the 14th. That way she can hatch them herself and also be ‘talking ‘to them while they are in eggs and hatching.
I have also then given the Australorp eggs to the other broody tonight and I’m going to let her do the full 21 days😬🤞🏻
she has been determined so far and so I’m hopeful she’ll be ok.
mill turn the incubator off!!
❤️🐓👍

Hi
The one I am giving the Maran eggs to sat for about a week before I put her eggs in the incubator and I’ve decided to give her the eggs on the 14th June so she can hatch them herself and then the other about a week and I’ve decided to give her the Australorp eggs from day one.
I moved her to her own coop last night with the new eggs and she has settled onto them so fingers crossed.

The one I am giving the Maran eggs to sat for about a week before I put her eggs in the incubator and I’ve decided to give her the eggs on the 14th June so she can hatch them herself
Curious why you took the eggs to begin with?

Curious why you took the eggs to begin with?
Hi
So neither of these broodys were the ones who laid the eggs. The Maran eggs I bought from a lady I have had eggs from before and the Australorps are from my pure breeds which I usually sell but also like to hatch myself to check fertility.

Neither broody had been sat on the fertile eggs until yesterday and the ones in the incubator have been in there from the start, i will just put them under the hen for the last 3 days. She is currently sat on infertile eggs.
the other one now has the fertile Australorps eggs under her, from last night, and will be doing the full 21 days with them herself.

Back
Top Bottom