Two momma ducks!! Help ASAP advice!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kitty22496, Apr 19, 2017.

1. kitty22496

kitty22496 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    I have two momma pekins sitting on nests. They are due a week or so apart but due very soon!
    I plan on deciding the run area to keep the drake away but will the momma ducks bother each others babies??

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Okay last year i had 3 brooding Muscovy ducks 2 inside the same house but in their own stalls,the other one in another house. When ducklings were about a week old I decided to let them bring their ducklings outside [for the first week they were very happy just to be inside with their babies, Well i let first mom out she was in another house , then went in and let mom # 2 outside with hers then Mom 3

Moms were not happy with each other and tried to keep themselves and their ducklings away from the other moms but when those ducklings saw each other they all merged into one group behind one mama duck oh boy so when mama duck waddled back inside all ducklings would follow her, and it was up to me to get ducklings with respective mamas it all went great till ducklings were 3 weeks old then mama duck # 2 noticed her ducklings that went with her were all one color and not her yellow and blk ones then she would peck at the lil ones till i got them sorted back with right moms. All but the blks and blues they could go with either or the other moms since they had some of each. Moral of story best keep mom and her own brood separated from each other till ducklings are at least 3 weeks old then everyone knows who belong to who and you'll keep your sanity. I about lost mine. And good idea to keep dad out of the way too but where he can see all that is going on.

@kitty22496 hope I didn't totally confuse you but wanted to relate my story. It went so much better when I only let 1 duck brood and raise her ducklings.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

No...The Hens will be fine with the Ducklings...:)...Good Call taking out the Drake.......:)

Best wishes..:)

Cheers!

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @kitty22496 so seems to be 2 contradictory observations going on here, All I can do is go by my own experience in helping others. Hope you don't get too confused. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. chickens really

Was never contradicting you Miss Lydia..;).....Sorry..:)

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Just saying we can't say for sure 2 mama ducks will tolerate each other or their ducklings I was just sharing what my experience was like last year. Pretty wild to say the least. lol

7. chickens really

my friend raises all his together ...Can't say it wont work either?....;).....Just saying..:(

1 person likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Oh very true every duck goose and chickens etc are unique to themselves. I've had chickens share babies before but boy my ducks[Muscovy's sure don't like to]

9. chickens really

Yes..You have Muscovy who are Momma Ducks on steroids...:)......It all depends...My two are now setting the same nest since I destroyed the first one..Daisy my Buff is Full time and Petunia likes to warm them in the afternoons...She is not laying in the nest at all..She now drops hers in the water dish or on the ground ..:(....Daisy and Petunia are okay..My Friend just lets all his hatch as wild birds do..;)....

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by