Two month old duck suddenly immobilized

tayae

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 10, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Hi everyone. Today I found one of my two month old ducks upside down in their pen, having muscle spasms/contortions. As well as being crested he was born with a deformity due to interbreeding I would guess, he has a mass under his poof that resembles a second bill. We didn't think he would make it when they hatched but has been almost completely healthy the past two months. But then today happened :( His symptoms are reminding me of crook neck, but even more severe. He can't stand or move on his own except for flailing or scratching his head if I have positioned him just right. His eyes are closed most of the time except for his "perky" moments. I've been hand watering him surprisingly successfully and giving him some vitamins, but I'm so worried that he is suffering and in pain :( He is currently snuggled up in a box with towels in my room, I'm not really sure if he will make it to morning, but what is the best course of action here? Is it worth trying to treat him? Should I take him to the vet and get him put to sleep? I'd appreciate any input I can get! Thanks <3

Last edited:
hugs.gif

Listen inwardly - the best guidance is often in there. Compassion and love matter, and so does your feeling about whether the duckling wants to hang in there. You might just quietly ask the duckling.

I would mix up some B complex vitamin water - Trying to think how much I would use since the little one isn't up to drinking regularly. Ya know, since this is such a touch and go time, I would just put a B Complex vitamin in a cup of water and give that to him however you are doing it.

And I would add a teaspoon of turmeric powder to that cup of water, also. Be careful, turmeric stains - so don't wear anything you don't mind getting yellow-brown stains.

@tayae

Last edited:
Very unfortunate....Some times, like with all animals that have deformities it wont become an issue till they are a few months old.
Only you can judge the out come of the duck......?
If it is suffering then it should be put down.....Best answer I can give.

Thanks everyone. He's still holding in there. I've been giving him water through a little dropper with a bunch of vitamins mixed in, he probably drank half a cup or so today. He can't hold his head up at all, I have to support it for him while I give him water. He's definitely not capable of eating.

It's not looking likely that he'll recover or ever be able to do duck things again, but as far as I can tell he is comfortable and not in pain, which is making it impossible to decide what to do :(

I think I'm going to continue caring for him for a few days and see how he is doing, and consider getting him put to sleep if he doesn't improve.

How long can ducks go without food?

Back
Top Bottom